Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Impressed by Dynamic Range of K10D

I have to say I'm impressed by the dynamic range of the K10D. Here is just a compairison shot of a jpeg from the camera and a Raw after post processing.

Also on another note at least to me at 100 ISO the K10D has less noise them my Canon XTi, I cannot see any in the K10D but I can see some in my XTi.

Anyway here is the pic. (Sorry kinda large!)

05-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #2

Looks good. I read a review of the K10D and it was said that it had a lower DR then other comparable cameras. I am pretty sure that was with jpeg. But even with jpegs and a little in-camera tweaking you can get really nice images. I shoot RAW all the time, but occasionally hit RAW+jpeg to to compare.

Thing is I bought the K10D because of all the posted images I have seen.
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this comparison epitomizes many of the reviews I read about the K10D before I bought it and is one of the many reasons I like the camera so much. I like the way the camera defaults to the jpeg and allows so much room to get to the second picture. To me, the jpeg from the camera looks real but the raw looks like a Picture. Now I can take Pictures and that's way cool:-).
Great post Avantphoto and great comparison shot.
05-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an awesome camera. Glad I bought one.

05-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Could you post also the un-retouched pic and the PP-ed one from your XTi for comparison? I think it would be most interesting to see those.
05-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
Here is just a compairison shot of a jpeg from the camera and a Raw after post processing.
What were your k10D settings for jpg?

What steps did you do for post processing of the RAW?

Larry
05-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Very nice picture, but if you put as much work into the jpeg as where put into the RAW the difference would have been a lot smaller.
05-25-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice work.
I wonder, however, whether we can call this "dynamic range" which, to me, is a characteristic of the recording medium (in our case, the sensor). So, any camera (of any brand) using the same sensor should have the basically same "dynamic range". Am I correct?

05-25-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Very nice picture, but if you put as much work into the jpeg as where put into the RAW the difference would have been a lot smaller.
I just wonder if the original picture from the K10D or the PP-ed one is close to the "true" scene as seen by your eyes.. Could you tell us?
05-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well first off I didn't shoot the same scene with my XTi, I'll do that though so we can compare next time.

I would say the PPed shot is a little beyond what I 'saw' but not by to much.

I did try processing the jpeg and while I can get it to look better, I cannot get as much detail in the sky, it's those soft yet smooth and subtle differences in the clouds. From the jpeg they start to get that 'solarized' look much sooner.

As for what I did, quite a bit, I guess the main thing is a digital gradient filter effect, but there was a lot more then that done.

Next time I'll try with both cameras.
05-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
Well first off I didn't shoot the same scene with my XTi, I'll do that though so we can compare next time.

I would say the PPed shot is a little beyond what I 'saw' but not by to much.

I did try processing the jpeg and while I can get it to look better, I cannot get as much detail in the sky, it's those soft yet smooth and subtle differences in the clouds. From the jpeg they start to get that 'solarized' look much sooner.

As for what I did, quite a bit, I guess the main thing is a digital gradient filter effect, but there was a lot more then that done.

Next time I'll try with both cameras.
Yes, limiting yourself to 8 bit processing (jpg) would not allow you to get the same "quality" as using (10-12 bit) RAW, or 16bit TIFF. Though this point leads to endless debates going back years. Using a RAW converter that uses floating point vs integer math also helps. Those are few and far between, and inherently slow.
05-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Yes, limiting yourself to 8 bit processing (jpg) would not allow you to get the same "quality" as using (10-12 bit) RAW, or 16bit TIFF. Though this point leads to endless debates going back years. Using a RAW converter that uses floating point vs integer math also helps. Those are few and far between, and inherently slow.
Yes maybe this should show why RAW is important, jpegs are great for casual shots but I will always shoot RAW for anything else, memory is getting so cheap now, just a couple nights ago I picked up a 4GB x150 SD card for 54.99, that's about 270 shots in RAW and for thats important because when shooting landscapes I bracket a lot!

Anyhow I just wanted to share what could be pulled from a RAW with the K10d, I really think that Canon maybe going away, although I would love to make it an IR only camera, but I need the cash for Pentax lenses damn LBA.