Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d Lens Compatibility

I'm sure it's here somewhere, but with so many pages I just can't find it. I just purchased (haven't yet received) a new k10d body and need to obtain a few lenses. I have come across the keh.com website and see many lenses I think will work, but am just not sure. The last time I used an SLR was 20 years ago in high school photography. My question is this, will the following lenses work with my new camera and retain the full functionality? I guess I also need to know about lens quality, keeping in mind I'm a novice not professional.
  1. 28-80 F3.5-5.6 MSC FA AL (58) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS
  2. 70-200 F4-5.6 F (49) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS
  3. 28-80 F3.5-5.6 TAMRON ASPHERICAL (58) SILVER WITH CAPS 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS

09-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
number 1 will work just fine, although if it is a power zoom, except for motorized zoom when you tur the zoom collar, none of the special power zoom features like image size tracking, zoom in and out during exposure and quick return to a selected focal length will work, as the new bodies don;t support those functions.

can't say about the other two as to what all they will do, because I don';t know whether they are AF, MF Have an A position etc.
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For practical purposes, all the lens listed will work on a Pentax DSLR. They will autofocus, and autoexposure.

But I think you should hold off buying any lens until you get the body. The lenses you list are very common and inexpensive. I'm sure you can get them from members here at better prices than from KEH. Just start a thread on Wanted Items Forum.
09-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To answer your question more generally: all K-mount lnses will work with your K10D. As for "full functionality", they'll have the full functionality they were built with, but a lens that was not built to have autofocus will not magically start to autofocus just because you mount it on a K10D. A manual focus lens remains manual focus, and a lens that lacks the "auto" ("A") position on the aperture ring to allow the camera to control the aperture on the lens won't magically allow that, either.

As mentioned, the lenses you list are very run-of-the-mill older lenses. Not sure if you ordered the camera with or without the "kit lens" it normally is sold with (DA18-55), but it's probably a more useful lens for most people than a 28-80, since 28mm is not very wide at all on an APS-C camera like Pentax DSLR's. And the Pentax DA50-200 is probably a better deal than the 70-200 you are looking at, as are any of the various 70-300 lenses out there.

See this site:

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

for more on the various flavors of Pentax lenses (in terms of functionality).

09-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, all great information. I'm fairly excited to get the camera and begin playing with it. I figure it will take a short while to get back up to speed on shooting an SLR.
09-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Watch out for Ricoh lenses

Just a word of warning. While all Pentax brand lenses will work safely on your camera, there are some Ricoh (and third-party lenses for Ricoh) that can cause problems.

Ricoh SLRs used the Pentax k-mount. On some of their later lenses, however, they modified it a little bit, by adding a pin to it. I'm not sure what the function was, but the pin can get lodged in the screw drive AF mechanism on the camera. If that happens, it can be very, very difficult to remove the lens from the camera.