Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

"Hurricane" blower warning

A few weeks ago I noticed 3 dust particles on my sensor. I had purchased a Hurricane brand blower for cleaning lenses and ultimately the sensor if the need arose. I always stored the 'Hurricane' in a zip loc bag to protect from contamination.

I have attached a pic of the results from approximately 6 pumps with the Hurricane. Need I say more?

I have since had the sensor cleaned at a local camera shot. The degree of contamination was such that I was hesitiant to tackle the cleaning myself

Name:  IMGP6538.jpg
Views: 3380
Size:  12.2 KB

09-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great goobs of gooey gunk. you sure someone didn't switch bags on you? I do the same with my rocket blower and have never created that kind of a situation. I always squeze the bulb a couple of times before pointing it into the chamber jim
09-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Further to the post above.

As said I stored the blower in a ziploc bag. Inspite of this I thought I may have somehow picked up dust and then deposited on the sensor when attempting to clean.

While researching methods of cleaning the sensor after the 'Hurricane' incident I came across a number of warnings / similar issues with 'Hurricane' blowers

I am confident this was not a dust issue but rather rubber particles from the blower.

See following link Precautions - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
09-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am very confident the zip loc bag was not contaminated or switched. With regard to your 'rocket ' blower (Giottos I assume)...highly recommended on the net because it is reportedly made from silica gel which doesn't deteriorate and create issues similar to the blower I used. Thanks for your response

09-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I am very confident the zip loc bag was not contaminated or switched. With regard to your 'rocket ' blower (Giottos I assume)...highly recommended on the net because it is reportedly made from silica gel which doesn't deteriorate and create issues similar to the blower I used. Thanks for your response
I think they also advertise the Giottos blower having some sort of filter in the rear end, so that the air coming out of the nozzle is relatively free of dust? I dunno if that's true, but that blower never made a mess yours did!
09-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is it possible the insides of your camera had so much dust in it (other than on the sensor) ? The blast from the rocket blower would have stirred up more dust, which then adhered to the sensor.

One way to avoid that is to change the lenses with the body facing downwards - it really minimises dust getting into the camera's inner chamber.
09-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The spray pattern on the right especially exhibits signs not of dust, but of particulates that were moist.
09-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have used the camera a lot over the past 2 years and the original 3 dust spots was the first time the sensor had been contaminated. I would suggest that with the amount of use the camera gets if I was not ultra careful (pointing camera downward, not changing lens at inappropriate times, etc) I would have had problems before now. To wit....I do not believe there was an inordinate amount of dust in the chamber.

With regard to the moisture comment...I really don't know. The tech who cleaned the sensor said that the particles did react oddly when the methal hydrate (?) was applied to the sensor. It took him "four" attempts to clean.

Thanks all for your comments. I am not out to publicly be critical of any product but after my experience and what I have read on the internet I am confident there can be a problem with this particular blower.

09-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troutman Quote
I have used the camera a lot over the past 2 years and the original 3 dust spots was the first time the sensor had been contaminated. I would suggest that with the amount of use the camera gets if I was not ultra careful (pointing camera downward, not changing lens at inappropriate times, etc) I would have had problems before now. To wit....I do not believe there was an inordinate amount of dust in the chamber.

With regard to the moisture comment...I really don't know. The tech who cleaned the sensor said that the particles did react oddly when the methal hydrate (?) was applied to the sensor. It took him "four" attempts to clean.

Thanks all for your comments. I am not out to publicly be critical of any product but after my experience and what I have read on the internet I am confident there can be a problem with this particular blower.
And people give me hell for using canned gas......
09-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I have known this can happen but had no proof. I have gone through 3 GIOTTO'S Rocket Blowers because over time with "daily" use the rubber gets softer and softer and it hits a point where it seems like its blowing out contaminates? I blew one at a lens and it was covered with black stuff, to this day I will not use a blower on my sensor it would have ruined my sensor there is more I tried cleaning the blowers outside and got some liquid inside ... but dried out the blower, it was ruined however so that was no proof that a blower can cause problems.

Now my second new blower I never cleaned or anything, after time it reached a point of softness that you could notice, and seemed to blow out more dust than air. I pulled out the back air valve and found there is "NO" filter its just a valve, I put in my own filter. But it still seemed to be doing more harm than good. I bought another new one, and for sure you can tell when you get a new blower how hard and strong the rubber is. No blower under $20USA has a filter, I say they last only so long before they get contaminated or just so soft they hold dust? I don't know the jury is still out. I have noticed what you say though and 100% believe it was your blower. Dust would have blown off, those were sticky contaminates.

There may be factors for me that are different than most, I have heavy hands and squeeze the blower hard and fast, I use the blower daily to clean off anything that has dust. Without me causing the problem like trying to clean it the GIOTTO'S has never blow out serious contaminate as the Hurricane brand may. So yes GIOTTO'S IMO is best. But IMO they ware out and are not as effective over time????

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-26-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling-grammer
09-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps storing the blower in a ziplock bag may have caused some condensation.
09-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Good point, reeftool. I live in the mountains where it's very dry in the summer and very wet in the winter. I've owned two Giottos blowers for around 3 years and have never noticed them blowing dust / particles onto the sensor / lens. I've always kept them either in my bag or on my desk without covers of any kind. I given them a half dozen squeezes before using them on a lens or sensor and have never had a problem. I was surprised to see the Hurricane blower warning on the site the OP linked. Good advice to probably avoid them.
09-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
Good point, reeftool. I live in the mountains where it's very dry in the summer and very wet in the winter. I've owned two Giottos blowers for around 3 years and have never noticed them blowing dust / particles onto the sensor / lens. I've always kept them either in my bag or on my desk without covers of any kind. I given them a half dozen squeezes before using them on a lens or sensor and have never had a problem. I was surprised to see the Hurricane blower warning on the site the OP linked. Good advice to probably avoid them.
Reeftool does have a good point and I did consider this. However, I am reasonably confident that the issue is not condensation as the blower has not traveled with my camera (I have no good reason for not putting into my camera bag except perhaps my age/memory) and sits with other misc. camera stuff on a shelf in my office
09-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If it is condensation...

then fungus will surely grow in the device. Spraying fungus on your sensor would sound as setting up a situation that would take four tries to get it clean.

One would have to store the device in a bag with silica gel I would imagine. Maybe something else?

Reeftool does have a good point and I did consider this. However, I am reasonably confident that the issue is not condensation as the blower has not traveled with my camera (I have no good reason for not putting into my camera bag except perhaps my age/memory) and sits with other misc. camera stuff on a shelf in my office
09-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you've got your bad blowers still

If you've got your bad blowers still, why not cut them open and examine the rubber?

I've read of this problem before and own a Gittos. So far no rubber contamination and I do look for loose rubber particles with each use before I actually use it. I first saw a thread about it a couple years ago with good images of same type of sensor contamination.

When I smell the Gittos it has a strong sulfur smell, which I noticed early on.

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I have known this can happen but had no proof. I have gone through 3 GIOTTO'S Rocket Blowers because over time with "daily" use the rubber gets softer and softer and it hits a point where it seems like its blowing out contaminates? I blew one at a lens and it was covered with black stuff, to this day I will not use a blower on my sensor it would have ruined my sensor there is more I tried cleaning the blowers outside and got some liquid inside ... but dried out the blower, it was ruined however so that was no proof that a blower can cause problems.

Now my second new blower I never cleaned or anything, after time it reached a point of softness that you could notice, and seemed to blow out more dust than air. I pulled out the back air valve and found there is "NO" filter its just a valve, I put in my own filter. But it still seemed to be doing more harm than good. I bought another new one, and for sure you can tell when you get a new blower how hard and strong the rubber is. No blower under $20USA has a filter, I say they last only so long before they get contaminated or just so soft they hold dust? I don't know the jury is still out. I have noticed what you say though and 100% believe it was your blower. Dust would have blown off, those were sticky contaminates.

There may be factors for me that are different than most, I have heavy hands and squeeze the blower hard and fast, I use the blower daily to clean off anything that has dust. Without me causing the problem like trying to clean it the GIOTTO'S has never blow out serious contaminate as the Hurricane brand may. So yes GIOTTO'S IMO is best. But IMO they ware out and are not as effective over time????