Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #1

K20d vs K7: AF with poor light

With my k20d I have problems when there is poor light, more photo of the face of my sons are out of focus. I know that there is a problem with focus in this condition with pentax camera, but the k7 really resolve this problem?

09-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mpg Quote
With my k20d I have problems when there is poor light, more photo of the face of my sons are out of focus. I know that there is a problem with focus in this condition with pentax camera, but the k7 really resolve this problem?
The K-7 will not do miracles.
It has a low light focus lamp, and it does low light much, much, much better and a lot faster than my K10D.

In Africa, shooting side-by-side with Canon and Nikon shooters, it did very well in very poor light conditions.
I was always first to focus, almost all frames are in focus.
Perhaps contineous AF is not on par with a D300 / D3, for the rest Pentax AF is now what it should have been.
I do use DA* lenses though, screw AF lenses take more time.

- Bert
09-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you would be far better off investing in an extrenal flash than getting the K7. The problem with taking photos in low light situations is two fold. First of all, the camera has trouble picking up areas of contrast to grab on to and so it will search. A flash can help this out by giving a spot beam for an assist (the K7 has a built in green focus assist lamp). The second thing though is that in low light your shutter speed will go down considerably. Motion blur becomes a huge problem, even pushing iso up considerably. An external flash will help freeze the motion and bump up your shutter speed.
09-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had used the K-7 under lowlight a few days ago. it had missed only twice during the whole occasion. mind you that the subjects were moving constantly. as far as auto-focusing speed is concerned, it was really fast. in the K20D, you would experience a lot of focus hunting and misfocus, making it ideal for you to shoot manual.

09-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you would be far better off investing in an extrenal flash than getting the K7. The problem with taking photos in low light situations is two fold. First of all, the camera has trouble picking up areas of contrast to grab on to and so it will search. A flash can help this out by giving a spot beam for an assist (the K7 has a built in green focus assist lamp). The second thing though is that in low light your shutter speed will go down considerably. Motion blur becomes a huge problem, even pushing iso up considerably. An external flash will help freeze the motion and bump up your shutter speed.
I agree. With bouncing and similar techniques, you can capture some very nice indoor pictures without that "flash-look".