Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Shake Reduction while Panning

What are your thoughts on using shake reduction while panning? I'm going to the vintage auto races in San Diego to dust off my gear and practice some action shooting. I've heard people say that it should be turned off and the manual mentions turning it off while shooting moving subjects with a slower shutter speed. However, the manual says to then use a tripod and I won't be able to use a tripod at the event, and the shutter speeds won't be reduced below 1/250 and the max focal length that I'll be using is 200 from the DA50-200 lens.

Anyhow, I think having SR on will actually benefit me, but am wondering why some recommend to turn it off while panning?

09-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I had a go at motorsport for the first time last weekend, if pbase wasn't still down I'd upload some photos.

I turned SR off and got great results however I was using a monopod which pretty much completely eliminates vertical movement. The SR system is supposed ignore panning at a constant speed but it's unclear how sensitive it is to slight variations in speed. Vertical movement shouldn't be too much of a problem at 1/250th a second so I'd try panning with SR off first.

Be prepared to throw loads away at first, I don't think I had one clear shot out of the first 10 minute session but after awile you'll get the feel for it.
09-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It works. I never turned SR off. The hint is to start panning smoothly at least half a second before you push the shutter so the camera can tell what you're doing. If you jerk the camera just before pressng the shutter results won't be so good.
09-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
It works. I never turned SR off. The hint is to start panning smoothly at least half a second before you push the shutter so the camera can tell what you're doing. If you jerk the camera just before pressng the shutter results won't be so good.
Agree with everything posted here. The key is smoothness. I practice with boats on the lake Don't have any uploaded though.

09-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had to do some panning shots for a photography class a few weeks ago, I kept the SR on, the key is to be smooth and follow through
09-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I turn it off and keep the shutter speed up. Sometimes I forget and it messes up more than it helps for me with birds anyways. It can throw off your framing too if you are moving the camera. YMMV of course