Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D shake reduction problem?

Hi Folks,

I've just upgraded from K10D and what a beauty this is. Except I don't think the shake reduction is working.

On K10D it made quite a difference shooting with or without the SR, now I can't tell the difference at all. I am wondering if there is a special trick to activating the SR or if somewhere deep in the menu, it's been deactivated, though I haven't found anything at all.

Has anyone had a similar problem or has any relevant ideas?

09-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Hi Folks,

I've just upgraded from K10D and what a beauty this is. Except I don't think the shake reduction is working.

On K10D it made quite a difference shooting with or without the SR, now I can't tell the difference at all. I am wondering if there is a special trick to activating the SR or if somewhere deep in the menu, it's been deactivated, though I haven't found anything at all.

Has anyone had a similar problem or has any relevant ideas?

How about some samples with exif data.
09-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One possibility - you aren't half-pressing the shutter long enough to enable SR. The K20D focuses just enough faster than the K10D that simply punching the shutter won't necessarily work - the camera may focus and take a picture before SR is ready. So definitely be in the habit of half-pressing and waiting for the hand icon to light up before taking the picture.
10-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, I think that was it! Now that I am watching for the hand icon to appear, I see that it takes a little while after the lens has focused and a couple of quick comparisons (with and without the SR) look right.

Thank you for your help!!!

10-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

if you root around in the settings you will see you can decouple the AF from the half-press on the shutter button, but a half press will still start the SR. I use the AF button on the back to focus and keep the shutter button half pressed to avoid any lag time waiting for the SR to get going. It's not so needed when shooting static objects but fr action shots it really helps a lot.

FYI, to focus you will need to either manual focus or use the AF button itself.