Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #1

Has the K20D been discontinued?

I saw references in a couple of threads that the K20D has been discontinued. Since I just bought one, I'd like to know why it has been discontinued and what is going to replace it.

I still have a couple of weeks to return it, so should I keep it, or return it and wait for the replacement?

09-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K20D has been officially discontinued, but there's still plenty of new stock available for anyone who want to buy it.

The K-7 has not been formally designated as its replacement , but it effectively is.

Why would you want to return your K20D if its functioning properly ?

Its a very good camera, unbeatable value for the price that its selling at.
09-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K7 is currently Pentax's top of the line model. It was announced earlier this year and has been shipping for a couple of months now.

Officially, Pentax never really indicated that the K7 was the K20's replacement, as they called it the summer camera for a while. The K7 is a new body style and they never directly stated that the K20 style was the end of the line, they did hint that there would be no K30. The KX replaces the KM/2000, and they alluded to a mid level camera earlier this year, but what they are actually going to do - who knows.

Even with the K20 discontinued, does not mean that it will not take pictures any longer. They will continue to support it, providing warranty services and parts. They just are not producing any new bodies. The K20 still works with all the lenses that Pentax produces and are available. Pentax recently updated the firmware to version 1.3 for the K20 a couple of months ago. I see no problems with the K20 at all.

I upgraded from the K100 to the K20 in April for a great price. I am very happy with it and will be for years to come. The K7 is twice the price and although the features are improved, I do not see it as twice the camera.

... hope that helps ...
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it has been discontinued, but prices should be stable for present, although I'd expect them to climb a little as old stock is used up. I wouldn't run out to buy a K7. Wait until you feel like there is something in particular you "need" from a new camera. Just changing cameras to change cameras it silly. The whole electronics market feeds off of rapid obsolescence. My laptop I got 9 months ago was actually "obsolete" when I got (that's why it was as cheap as it was), but it actually works just fine. In the same way, new cameras come out all of the time, but the old ones don't take any worse photos.

09-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

Knowing how electronics are, I just thought that maybe its successor would be better and cheaper, so I didnt want to wind up kicking myself and saying "I should have just waited a month".

I really like the K20, and plan on keeping it for a while. It lacks a few things that some of the other brands of DSLRs have, like face detection, a video mode, etc, but its definitely well worth the price and I'm very happy with it.