Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Logical upgrade from K100d?

I have been quite happy with my K100d. I waited until Pentax came out with a DSLR that I could use my lenses with, and this body was affordable. I also appreciate the fact that I can use AA batteries in this body.

However, I am now thinking I may want to upgrade and hand down to my daughter the K100d, but I'm not sure which of the newer cameras to choose.

I can't seem to find a feature comparison site so I thought I'd ask here about which of the newer models best fits me for an upgrade? I'm pretty sure I don't want to go all the way up to the top of the line model, but other than that, and a desire to stick with the AA battery route if possible, to go.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I found this link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/747582-post2.html

on another thread and one thing I noticed is the k2000 lacks depth of field preview, so I think I'll eliminate that body for consideration, and now I think I'm leaning toward just moving up to the k200d. Make sense?

Last edited by Rafael; 09-27-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: New information
09-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
hmmm maybe a K-x or a used K20d?
09-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd go with a K200 or k-x depending on whether it is important for you to have visible focus points and weather sealing, or video. I say that and the K-x isn't even out yet, but it sure sounds like a lot of camera for the price.
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

I would say the K-x, subject naturally to good reviews. (But then it's a Pentax so it must be excellent ). The K20D of course doesn't take AAs.

09-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rafael,
Consider the features you want to have in the upgrade, then use the Camera Review database on this forum to make your comparisons.
And ask yourself why you want to stay with AAs as a camera power source...
09-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In April I upgraded from the K100 to the K20 - the price was great, however I kept the K100. Where you go (what next model), I think would be what you want the body to do for you....

I wanted ISO 100, plus the 2 second mirror up was on the same menu as the bracketing (can only select 1 and not both). Going to the two wheels were a plus, and the increased resolution (6 to 14MP) did help some on stitching (portrait) along with cropping to a degree. Auto focusing is better, but not to the extent of the K7 (and I hear that the KM/2000 being newer is between the K20 and K7). Also, the orientation sensor was nice, after having to flip all the images by hand on the K100. Having bracketing on a separate button is nice (along with a choice of 3 or 5 frames). Also the image buffer storing more than 3 images helped when I was bracketing, not having to have to hold a shot while the prior shot was being written to the SD card. Not having the AA batteries is essentially a wash, although the rechargeable is nice - and I still have to get a spare battery sometime.

I do find that I like the access to the information on the top LCD (KM and KX do not have it). I also like the couple of additional shooting modes - the P and the green button does make things nice. Thus, for me the K20 has turned out to be the right model to move up to.

The additional size was a concern, however - I seem to be shooting much more on a tripod at night now, and even hand held the additional 5 oz is nothing at all. I have several images that were taken with the K100, and I only wish that I had the K20 for them.

I got a great price - $650 at the time and it came with an extended 3 year warranty, so essentially I am set for quite some time. Its nice to read about the K7 - but all in all, I feel I found a smoking deal that has worked for me. The K7 for as nice as it is, is probably not twice the camera for twice the price. I figured that at the time, I would need to wait an extra year for the K7 to drop in price to the point where I would consider it. With the K20 there at my price point, I just went ahead - and essentially have gotten an additional year of shooting on a better body. I used the K100 for almost 4 years, and I am expecting to be happy with the 20 for another 4 years. I just was looking at an image in PhotoMe and I have about 1800 images on it, so that is about 300+ per month. Color me happy, it fit very well for what I was looking for.

I have taken it on several business trips - caught several very nice shots of the harbor in San Diego and over on Coronado Island, along with some sunsets. It travels well, and I have settled on 4 lenses and that is what I use. It has cost me though. I needed a better tripod and ball head, so I did go out and acquire a much better one replacing my old plastic and aluminum on which bit the dust. So, overall I am set....

The K200 is a K10 repackaged within a K100 body. I like the K100 very much, and I think that its a wonderful camera - and it does have the top LCD that I like. So for me its either the K20 or K200 depending on what you like - since your going to be using it...

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-27-2009 at 01:38 PM.
09-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
And ask yourself why you want to stay with AAs as a camera power source...""""

1] I have tons of AAs
2] AAs are cheap
3] AA alkylines are available anywhere
4] I can swap a set of 4xAAs from my camera to my flash in case my camera batteries fail

Last edited by Rafael; 09-27-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo
09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Im surprised you don't use Lithiums - they last several times longer than Alkalines. I think you get more than your money's worth. I didn't get that many shots out of Alkalines.

K100D user saying "what the heck, when I upgrade I'm going to the top."
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wnet from the k100d to the K7. I only missed AAs when I had 1 k7 battery. I got a $15 ebay as a backup and i am happy. The spare battery is smaller and lighter than a set of AAs and lasts longer.

As far as features go... if you want more than the k100d then go for the k200d or wait and see if there is a k300d. If you want to go for ALL the features and money is not tight then the k7 will not disappoint. I would LOVE a kx in bright colors but i know the lack of features would annoy me if it were my only dslr... and frankly there is nothing the kx can do that my k7 can't.

mike
09-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
And ask yourself why you want to stay with AAs as a camera power source...""""

1] I have tons of AAs
2] AAs are cheap
3] AA alkylines are available anywhere
4] I can swap a set of 4xAAs from my camera to my flash in case my camera batteries fail
All well and good - the AAs can be used in your flash as usual.

Li-ion batteries in the K10D/K20D/K-7 are all readily available too, but you don't need to buy them all that often as they last long and recharge very well. Just having 2 (or 3 if you get a grip to go with the camera) ensures you have a guaranteed 1000+ exposures when charged.

I thought of staying with AAs as well when I wanted to upgrade my K100D, but haven't regretted going down the K10D/K20D Li-ion battery path - in fact I find it a more reliable power source.
09-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The K7 is the true upgrade path but it's way over priced. The 20D is too big and heavy and the others are too under specced.

I avoid AA's like the plauge myself, i loathe them.
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Have you ever actually *used* the modern AA's like Eneloops?
09-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
The K7 is the true upgrade path but it's way over priced. The 20D is too big and heavy and the others are too under specced.

I avoid AA's like the plauge myself, i loathe them.
New rechargable AAs have come a long way. I have a bunch of them from various manufacturers and they have not only proven reliable, but they blow alkalines away!
09-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gfmucci Quote
Im surprised you don't use Lithiums - they last several times longer than Alkalines. I think you get more than your money's worth. I didn't get that many shots out of Alkalines.

K100D user saying "what the heck, when I upgrade I'm going to the top."
Not alkalines, NiMh.
09-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
The new K-x looks interesting....AVI video, HDR mode, broader ISO range, 1/6000 shutter, 2 more megapixels, lighter....

Other than the weather proofing, why would anyone choose the K200d?
Closed Thread