Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-x price now out !

I just checked this out at BH. the K-x costs at around 650 bucks with the 18-55 AL lens included. that would bring the body alone at around 500-550 bucks. very affordable and not bad considering the price of the competition. this might bring a panic button to the others. now how much do we expect a K-m and K20D would cost now?

09-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

WOW! The body alone will be 500-550? This price is just monstrously good... I wonder how the IQ will go up agains the K20D and the K-7.
09-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
WOW! The body alone will be 500-550? This price is just monstrously good... I wonder how the IQ will go up agains the K20D and the K-7.
I'm also curious about high ISO results.
09-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I just checked this out at BH. the K-x costs at around 650 bucks with the 18-55 AL lens included. that would bring the body alone at around 500-550 bucks. very affordable and not bad considering the price of the competition. this might bring a panic button to the others. now how much do we expect a K-m and K20D would cost now?
This price has been known since the announcement date. People have heard there is no body-only at launch, nothing known about later.

Btw, for the K2000 at least, the kit was more like $0~50 cheaper, not $100-150

09-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
This price has been known since the announcement date. People have heard there is no body-only at launch, nothing known about later.

Btw, for the K2000 at least, the kit was more like $0~50 cheaper, not $100-150
Yeah, buying with a kit lens is always the better deal - as Eruditass said, the body only versions typically retail for the same, upto $50 less than the single kit lens offering - even if I don't need it, I will take a $50 kit lens to beat up alittle when the situation calls for it (or, perhaps to slap an IR filter on and use it only for that purpose, something like that).

So, expect a body-only K-x to be $599 MSRP - that is of course if/when they ever decide to make this option available - Pentax has already said there will not be a body-only offering for the foreseable future (just as it was for several months with the K-m at launch).

And yeah, prices were available when the camera was revealed, and pre-orders were up the same day (White will be coming my way from Amazon on release day!)
09-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is amazing that the launching price for this camera is this cheap. The Km/k2000 launched for approximately the same and currently (at the end of its life cycle) is selling in places for 500 dollars with the two kit lenses. To me a launching price is just a ceiling, beyond which the price will not go up, but who knows what this camera will end up selling for in 6 months?
09-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The plastic mount lens is included, not metal mount

The plastic mount lens is included, not metal mount, note "DA L" on lens.

I don't consider this a $100 to $150 lens.

The metal mount 18-55 AL II sells for $149, & was $129 a couple days ago:

Pentax | SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Autofocus Lens | 21717

Pentax | Pentax K-x Digital SLR with 18-55mm Zoom Lens | 16301
09-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Adorama has the K-x listed for $599 body only.

09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Someone posted this in dpreview as well - another poster already called and its not yet available (though they didn't post whether this is actually being offered - I am skeptical they will have body-only off the bat and Adorama just put the page up well in advance, at the likely MSRP - for $50 I will dedicate the DA L to IR anyway).

In regards to the DA L not being worth $100-150, did anyone say that? Oh I see it was implied in the original post referring to a body-only option for $500-550 - I agree, you get alittle deal on the Kit as the body only will probably be MSRP $599, but it ain't worth a whole lot more then $50 new either!

I am going to use the DA L for IR only - I have a cheap ebay IR filter on my 16-45, but I think it is only near-IR (or rather, a deep deep red) - I get the white foliage effect, but the false colors you can get with a real IR filter from Hoya are simply unobtainable (and I have tried all the methods in photoshop to no avail). So I will pick up a 49mm (or 52, whatever it is) hoya IR filter and give that a whirl.
09-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
K-7 now seems just a tad overpriced, in my not so humble opinion. Or that k-x is strategically priced.
09-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
K-7 now seems just a tad overpriced, in my not so humble opinion. Or that k-x is strategically priced.
I see the K7 at Amazon is now just a shade over $1,150 - by Christmas it will be hovering close to $1K if prices go they way they usually do for camera bodies (down!). The K-x will likely be just under $600 by then, and I don't think when they reach these prices either will be over priced. Perhaps Pentax has an aggressive price push on the K7 planned to coincide with the K-x release, you never know! (wasn't it around $1200 in the recent couple of weeks?)
09-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I see the K7 at Amazon is now just a shade over $1,150 -
Which means that here in the UK we will be paying approx the same price for a K-x as you will for a K-7. Seems about right to me
09-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Which means that here in the UK we will be paying approx the same price for a K-x as you will for a K-7. Seems about right to me
Time to plan your North America vacation
09-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I see the K7 at Amazon is now just a shade over $1,150 - by Christmas it will be hovering close to $1K if prices go they way they usually do for camera bodies (down!). The K-x will likely be just under $600 by then, and I don't think when they reach these prices either will be over priced. Perhaps Pentax has an aggressive price push on the K7 planned to coincide with the K-x release, you never know! (wasn't it around $1200 in the recent couple of weeks?)
You know, I was thinking about this on the plane today, and I think I was wrong. Given the specs, I think K-7 is a bargain at the time of its release, and it is somewhat less of a bargain but it still is a good value for avid amateurs. The reason I thought that it was overpriced was because at this point of the game I still have not fully utilized K-7's full capability. Then the k-x comes out..... Looking at it, this camera would do very nicely for the level of photography that I do. I was talking to my cousin who works for Canon(printer division in japan) last week, and he said that what they first noticed about K-7 was the pricing. "Incredibly aggressive" is what they thought. I wonder if k-7 affected the pricing of 7D. BTW my cousin wanted to choke me and cut me in pieces because not only that I didn't buy Canon DSLR, I now bought Epson 3800 printer. He told me that for those of you who are interested in high end printers, wait 18 months or so. Sorry, off the topics here.

I think I will buy k-x as a back up(like I really need a backup!!) for the hell of it. I want to buy the most ridiculous color combo to get people riled up.

Last edited by Nubi; 09-30-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Because I am on numerous medications
09-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nubi - nice edit reason! The K-x is definitely aggressively priced - if they put that camera out with those specs and it was msrp for $749 I would still have my pre-order in. There is so much trickle down it is almost unbelievable, which is really the only thing that makes the K7 look at all overpriced - if you step back into the company of the K7 (price/spec wise) you can see where it is still a deal. Pentax lenses may be catching up to the competitors on price, but they continue to offer alot more in their bodies. As far as needing a 2nd body, I am happy to call it my wife's camera! (it is in very capable hands, or rather in front of a capable eye!) That, and I get to play with the video, haha.