Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon Focussing Issues

Well, Pentax Focussing Issues..Nah, not exclusive to Pentax. This is regarding the Canon 30D....

From DPReviews:

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help out here, I recently switched from pentax to canon however the canon lenses I have don’t seem to be anywhere as sharp, I have the 16-35 2.8L USM and the 24-105L IS USM which aren’t exactly cheap lenses.

I’ve posted some 100% crops below and their resized image nothings had any processing.

Just wondering if its all in my head or maybe I need to adjust my camera settings or is there something wrong with the lenses (which are second hand but in mint condition) or maybe the camera has a focusing issue.

Cheers for any suggestions..

05-25-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, we know.

Long ago, there was a Canon 10D measurbator called Mishkin who confirmed the 10D BF and FF issue and doing well designed test in a super systematic and scientific way:

Hey Mishkin... - Digital Photography News, Reviews & Forum

10D's AF Accuracy - Statistical Analysis - Canon Digital Photography Forums

And then, there have been the Nikon D70 focus test chart but then this one is very loose in test method and actually it is just a very rough reference afterall IMHO. So, the D70 also had problem.

So and hence, it boils down for how each camera model is better or worse than others. We have seldom heard of a D2Xs or a 1DS MkX has more reported problem than a 350D or D70 or so.

As for the AF accuracy of Pentax DSLRs for what the user have reported, I would rank as follows, with the less problematic Pentax DSLR first: K100D > K10D (newer lot) > *ist D > *ist DS > *ist DL > K10D (first lot) and *ist D (earlier lot)

So, sometimes, we should buy later to place safe (but then when we buy lately, new models are around the corners)

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Well, Pentax Focussing Issues..Nah, not exclusive to Pentax. This is regarding the Canon 30D....

From DPReviews:

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help out here, I recently switched from pentax to canon however the canon lenses I have don’t seem to be anywhere as sharp, I have the 16-35 2.8L USM and the 24-105L IS USM which aren’t exactly cheap lenses.

I’ve posted some 100% crops below and their resized image nothings had any processing.

Just wondering if its all in my head or maybe I need to adjust my camera settings or is there something wrong with the lenses (which are second hand but in mint condition) or maybe the camera has a focusing issue.

05-25-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

the 16-35 has a wild mtf chart, not sure why you picked that lens up. the 24-105 should be good stopped down, a friend of mine has this lens and has had great results with his 20d body.

regardless, both aren't so hot wide open.
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

From DPReviews:

You only have to scan through the photozone.de reviews to notice that even some expensive Canon L glass is less than stellar MTF or distortion wise with the notable exception of the 70-200 F4 which is astonishingly good.

Another interesting point from Photozone is that the IS lenses from Canon are FAR more prone to centering problems than non-IS lenses.

The grass is never that much greener. The only reason I would switch to Canon would be if I had a professional need for one of their pro-bodies - assuming I was a sports photographer - but since I do mostly studio and travel the Pentax is more suitable.

05-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, we know.

Long ago, there was a Canon 10D measurbator called Mishkin who confirmed the 10D BF and FF issue and doing well designed test in a super systematic and scientific way:
What on earth is a "measurebator" and why does it have a name (Mishkin)? If I try it will it make me go blind?

And exactly how 'Long ago' is long ago, after all the the Canon 10D is only a few years old, or is this the Canon 10D well known in Middle Earth - that would explain the strange name?

Also, if you want to read about another unhappy Canon 'focusser' (I know, there's no such word) have a look at this What should I do? [Archive] - Canon Digital Photography Forums

It's always nice to read about someone else's troubles.....