Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by travieso profundo Quote
Hey Henrik!
As long as they don't, the Metz 58 has the disconcerting habit of slowing down the K-7's frame rate substantially - even, believe it or not, when it is turned off (but still attached to the hot shoe).
I have used that combo for a while now, and I didn't actually know that. I just tried it out, and it seems to be about right. When the flash is on, the frame rate is down the drain, maybe 1.5 to 2 pr sec. When it is off, but still in the hot shoe, it doesn't seem to affect the rate at all.

It's still a good flash for me though as I never shoot high frame rate series anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that. Actually if you have the 21, 35, and 70 you are pretty well covered.

I like the 15 because I do a lot of outdoor nature photos. I've had the lens for about a month and never shot it below F8 so I'm probably not the person to ask.

The 21 is also a really great lens.
I own all 4 of the mentioned lenses, and I love them all. I use to have a collection of L series Canon zooms for my 5D, but now I only have the K-7 and these 4 primes, and I don't miss the zooms at all.

The 35mm and the 21mm are sharing the number one place on my list of favorites. Then the 15mm and last the 70mm.

I have also read the mixed reviews of the 15mm, but I think it a really fine lens. It may be a bit soft on the edges wide open, and there are some vignetting, but overall I think the image quality is very fine. I think you will enjoy it very much once you forget what you paid for it

One very good thing about the 15mm is how the flare and ghosting is controlled. It works very well with the sun both inside, and just outside the frame.

09-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all.

The jury is still out on the 540 vs. Metz58 issue, but I cannot wait to get the K7 tomorrow.

DA21, FA35 & DA70 are my priority lenses, after that I will look into getting the 135 f/2.8 or DA15 or whatever I decide I "need"
09-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shot, welcome back.
Metz also have some great flash’s for Pentax
09-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Looks like you're happy with your K-7, kjellhar.

It really warms my heart seeing a Pentax user back in the fold

Haven't seen you since you bought your camera, but come by the shop anytime you want to try out some of the new stuff! (just ask for the "pentax-nerd")

Last edited by Shashinki; 09-28-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: grammar.. i hates it..
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome back from the dark side of the force.
09-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
I don't remember the exact procedure, since this picture is more than a year old, but according to below link i blended two pictures to cope with the strong sunlight:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27993-sun-field.html

Thank you for the response...

Ash > thank you... I don't really want to try and remove the pin from the 540 myself...
It is a very nice shot. As for removal of the pin, it's easy as can be and you can't damage the flash. I broke a tab on the shoe (my fault) and took some photos of the repair. You can see how easy it is here.
09-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Looks like you're happy with your K-7, kjellhar.

It really warms my heart seeing a Pentax user back in the fold

Haven't seen you since you bought your camera, but come by the shop anytime you want to try out some of the new stuff! (just ask for the "pentax-nerd")
Ah, the guy from the store in Oslo is lurking around here. Spooky
I'll ask for you next time I'm in the store. I'm busy with baby right now, so it might take some time though.
09-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sorry to hijack.............. (with a newbie question). Does the k7 and 540 flash work together in wireless mode? That is, is there no cable or wireless trigger required to fire the flash from a stock k7?

cheers
mike

09-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Sorry to hijack.............. (with a newbie question). Does the k7 and 540 flash work together in wireless mode? That is, is there no cable or wireless trigger required to fire the flash from a stock k7?

cheers
mike
That goes for both the Pentax and the Metz 58 flash. It uses the pop up flash for communication.
09-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote

cheers
mike
Yep, that combo is best for wireless flashing. On-board flash is the master as well as the control (or it can be set as the control only) and optically triggers the off-camera 540.
I use it all the time with my K20D and really appreciate its versatility.
09-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thank you all for the welcome back greetings and the good advice given.

Right now I think I am going for the Pentax 540.

... more importantly IT HAS ARRIVED !!!

Battery charged and of course its dark everywhere, but I took a couple of test shot to check SR, Noise and lens. All looks good - SO happy to have in-body SR again:

I know, not a very interesting subject, but handholding at 0.3 sec is nice and the iso800 looks acceptable, though a tad worse than the 5D, but that was what I expected. Above image is straight from camera... only cropped (half the image), resized and a very small amount of sharpen applied.

The kit lens is very noisy, but it is cheap, small, lightweight and weather sealed - a good deal until better lenses arrives

Its good to be back....
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter

welcome back.

just curious, from what other dark side did you come back from ? nikon / canon / sony / oly ?
and why? there always is that urge, but it'll be good to hear from a vet

regards,
jordan
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
welcome back.

just curious, from what other dark side did you come back from ? nikon / canon / sony / oly ?
and why? there always is that urge, but it'll be good to hear from a vet

regards,
jordan
I currently also own a Canon 5D, but if things go as well with my return to Pentax as I expect it to... I think I will sell the 5D. I have already sold all lenses but one.
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Right now I think I am going for the Pentax 540.
You will not be dissappointed.. with it and the K-7 combo