Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Coming back to Pentax

Hi all.

So I left Pentax a while back, thinking the grass was greener etc....

I miss the Pentax Limiteds and the in-body shake reduction (among other things), so I am coming (home) back to Pentax.

Just ordered a Pentax K7 + 18-55 WR + Grip (£1150) and am planning on getting this for the near future:

DA 21 Ltd.
FA 35 f/2
DA 70 Ltd.
F (or FA) 135mm f/2.8

I will start hunting down information on which Flash to get (seems like there are problems with the 540 getting stuck on camera... don't like the sound of that). This seems the hardest with Pentax.

I just wanted to say hi (again)... hope the K7 can live up to my expectations, I know the lenses can.

When I was last with Pentax, my favorite lens was the 21 Ltd. it gave me this on the first day I got it:

Can't wait for the delivery... feels to to be back...

09-28-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome back

just a note

the 540 flash on the K-7 is far better than on the K-20... miles apart in fact

Neil
09-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have AF 540 that works perfectly on k20, now on my k-7 is even better.

About the "stuck problem" I have mine for almost a year and not a single problem. I do recommend getting one.

Welcome Back !
09-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks.

I am leaning mostly towards the 540 or the Metz58.

I do fear the "getting stuck" quite a bit, since Pentax is nowhere to be found around here...

I am looking so much forward to receiving the K7 - it should be delivered tomorrow

now to hunt down reasonable prices on the primes (in europe)

09-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
Currently: Canon 5D

Ordered: Pentax K7
I made exactly that switch two months ago. Couldn't be more happy. Now I have a K-7 with 15mm, 21mm, 35mm abd 70mm Ltd.
K-7 Speilbildet.no (In Norwegian)

I also have the Metz 58 flash, which I would recommend to anyone. Haven't tried the Pentax flash, so I can't compare.

Kjell
09-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #6

Henrik

That is an amazing shot.

How did you get such detail shotting against the sun? Is it a HDR picture?

Normally when I shoot against the sun all I get is a black silhouette and that's it.
09-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Henrik.
You won't be disappointed with the 540 flash - it really is top of the range for Pentax.
As for it getting stuck - yes it can happen. The culprit is the locking pin, which may decouple from the manual locking screw just above the hotshoe. It did happen to me, but all I then did was remove the pin from the hotshoe apparatus and now I no longer have that problem. Then the only thing to be weary of is the flash slipping slightly off the hotshoe contacts, which rarely occurs with me, but can happen.

Details of the locking pin problem and its removal can be found on this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/26752-540-fgz-s...st-mortem.html

09-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
Henrik

That is an amazing shot.

How did you get such detail shotting against the sun? Is it a HDR picture?

Normally when I shoot against the sun all I get is a black silhouette and that's it.
I don't remember the exact procedure, since this picture is more than a year old, but according to below link i blended two pictures to cope with the strong sunlight:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/27993-sun-field.html

Thank you for the response...

Ash > thank you... I don't really want to try and remove the pin from the 540 myself...
09-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjellhar Quote
I made exactly that switch two months ago. Couldn't be more happy. Now I have a K-7 with 15mm, 21mm, 35mm abd 70mm Ltd.
K-7 Speilbildet.no (In Norwegian)

I also have the Metz 58 flash, which I would recommend to anyone. Haven't tried the Pentax flash, so I can't compare.

Kjell
Oh very interesting.

Can you tell me a bit more about your experinces/conclusions - or did you already do that in another thread?
09-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You should really think about the DA 15mm. :-)
09-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
You should really think about the DA 15mm. :-)
Oh but of course I am thinking of it

... although the reviews/experiences are kind of mixed?

The DA 21 Ltd. was my favorite lens last time I was with Pentax (but the DA 15 Ltd. did not exist back then)
09-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Oh very interesting.

Can you tell me a bit more about your experinces/conclusions - or did you already do that in another thread?
Since you're Danish (I assume), I suggest you visit the link I provided. I have written quite much about my experience there, but all in Norwegian.

The short story is that I am very satisfied, and I don't look back at all.
09-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Hey Henrik!

It is crucial to know that the Metz 58 and the K-7 aren't really compatible, at least not yet. There seems to be a serious problem with the firmware, and as far as I know, it would be up to Metz to fix it. As long as they don't, the Metz 58 has the disconcerting habit of slowing down the K-7's frame rate substantially - even, believe it or not, when it is turned off (but still attached to the hot shoe). This is not only common knowledge in the German Pentax Forum, but I've experienced it myself as well. Luckily enough, I also own the Pentax 540, and I can recommend it for use on the K-7, though I have to say that the Metz, at least on the K20, is the better, and somewhat brighter, flash.

Best wishes
Daniel
09-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh but of course I am thinking of it

... although the reviews/experiences are kind of mixed?

The DA 21 Ltd. was my favorite lens last time I was with Pentax (but the DA 15 Ltd. did not exist back then)
Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that. Actually if you have the 21, 35, and 70 you are pretty well covered.

I like the 15 because I do a lot of outdoor nature photos. I've had the lens for about a month and never shot it below F8 so I'm probably not the person to ask.

The 21 is also a really great lens.

The only one I find a bit unuseful is the 40. It's just about impossible to manually focus it because the focus wring is so tiny.

Welcome back, I assure you won't be disappointed. :-)
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks.

I am leaning mostly towards the 540 or the Metz58.

I do fear the "getting stuck" quite a bit, since Pentax is nowhere to be found around here...

I am looking so much forward to receiving the K7 - it should be delivered tomorrow

now to hunt down reasonable prices on the primes (in europe)
I've got the Metz 58, great flash!