Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*ist D repair questions

I have my brother's *ist D that isn't working properly. I'd like to see if anyone can give me suggestions for fixing it.

When you power it on, the back LCD screen comes up with the Date/Time menu. Pressing the D-pad doesn't do anything to change fields or settings.

I can change the aperture and shutter speed via both wheels.

I cannot change any other settings on the camera or dismiss the Date/Time screen. My brother has replaced the button cell and used fresh batteries, but no change.

The camera was in a motorcycle accident a couple years ago (inside a padded Pelican case), and worked fine for about 9 months after when the symptoms above started. It's been on a shelf since then. I plan on opening it up to see if there is anything loose or obviously broken. I have a feeling that the d-pad switch may be broken. Has anyone seen these symptoms?

09-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Dave,

I think *ist D is the only model of Pentax DSLR that has a coin battery in the bottom of the body, by the tripod attachment. Please open that and put a new battery in and see if it fixes your problem. This battery was put as a feature so that the settings for time and other custom menus were not lost during battery change or prolonged period of storage.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

-thepusher