Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

K100D is acting funky

Hi there -

This is my first post and unfortunately is a call for help. I have a Pentax K100D, purchased about 1.5 years ago and used sporadically. I have never taken advantage of the camera's true potential and I would like to. Problem is, last month I started having problems with the camera. It may be something so simple as a setting issue, but I don't know for sure.

I usually use the Auto feature - I basically take photos of my sons and sometimes the backyard birds, etc. Auto has always worked for me. For some reason, though, the Auto feature isn't working in the sense that the flash will not pop up automatically. When I manually pop the flash, the shutter seems to stick and my batteries seem to drain right before my eyes. I was using Duracell rechargeables since I bought the camera, but now those no longer register as having any juice.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Terri

09-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Batteries for the K100 Series cameras have been an issue discussed many times. They seem to cause all sorts of odd problems. The reason is, the cameras are quite sensitive to voltages and really want a constant 6 volts to operate correctly. Even new, rechargeable batteries are giving you 4.6 to 4.8 volts which is barely enough for the camera to work. Older ones would be worse.

Most people have switched to Sanyo Eneloops batteries or Rayovac Hybrids. Much much better batteries. If you can't pick some up locally, just get a set of good quality (non rechargeable) Lithium (not alkaline's) to test your camera with.

I suspect you'll find everything is back to normal with new fresh batteries.

If so, get a set of Eneloops and you'll not have this problem again.

Btw, welcome to the forums and don't be a stranger!

09-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome Terri.
Peter's explained the most probable issue you're dealing with so I won't say anymore other than to say G'day and look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
09-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have Eneloops and have experience no such issue. Woudl recommend them as suggested. Cheers.

09-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sanyo Eneloops all the way. They are all I use in my K200D.