Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unable to download Remote Assistant for istD

I recently needed to switch my astrophotography from a modified K110D to an istD. This is the original istD bought for my wife when it first came out for over $1200. One plus of this camera is Pentax Remote Assistant is supported for this model and not my K1x0Ds.

I have R.A. version 1.00 which works. The following Pentax web page implies there is a version 1.01. I click on:

*ist D - PENTAX REMOTE Assistant - Software Windows 2000/Me/XP * Mac OS - 1.00/1.01

at web page:

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

Usually I get, "Loading" for a long time, occasionally I get, "Contact Customer Service." I found the same problem many months ago so don't expect Pentax to fix their web site anytime soon.

Could someone tell me:

Is there a version 1.01 for Windows?

If so, can someone send it to me or point me at a download link that works?

Thank You.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 09-28-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
09-29-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Problem resolved.

I received a quick response from jeffkrol. He was able to download the file. I don't know why my computer does not like that one file. I could download other files from the same Pentax web page. Hmmm, maybe I should have tried Internet Explorer instead of Firefox...

The file INSTRA01.EXE turns out to be version 1.00 which is the original version from the CDROM. The web page calls it 1.00/1.01. Perhaps the MAC uses 1.01.

I now know I have the latest version available. On the next clear night I will give the istD some exercise with Remote Assistant.

Thank You.

BTW: Over the years I've found R.A. will sometimes work with K1x0Ds that have firmware 1.00. Unfortunately my astro K110D was updated by Pentax to 1.02 after which it would never connect to R.A. Since the istD is supported by Pentax I believe it will work fine.