Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tight K-7 memory card slot, SOLVED !!!

Ok, actually I did this by accident. I was inserting my SDHC card the other day and I was wondering why the card doesn't seem to go in. to my surprise, I was inserting it at the opposite end first (glad I didn't forced it, otherwise the slot could had been wrecked and need a repair or replacement parts). anyway, as I was checking it for any significant damage, the card slot didn't break (no bent mechanism both electrical and electronical and mechanical casing), and it is still able to read (thank goodness). push eject still works and guess what? I could now remove the card with ease everytime. my suspicion is that when I inserted the card backwards, it could had widen the space of the mechanical casing inside. I guess this is a case of a beneficial accident.

09-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Ok, actually I did this by accident. I was inserting my SDHC card the other day and I was wondering why the card doesn't seem to go in. to my surprise, I was inserting it at the opposite end first (glad I didn't forced it, otherwise the slot could had been wrecked and need a repair or replacement parts). anyway, as I was checking it for any significant damage, the card slot didn't break (no bent mechanism both electrical and electronical and mechanical casing), and it is still able to read (thank goodness). push eject still works and guess what? I could now remove the card with ease everytime. my suspicion is that when I inserted the card backwards, it could had widen the space of the mechanical casing inside. I guess this is a case of a beneficial accident.
I think that ruins the weather sealing though... The old K20D/K10D had a tight door that didn't let water in in the first place, where as the K-7 is a sliding door.
09-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I think that ruins the weather sealing though... The old K20D/K10D had a tight door that didn't let water in in the first place, where as the K-7 is a sliding door.
not really. the weather-sealing (rubber) is attached to the sliding door which covers the whole entrance of the card slot (external) and has no connection to the unexposed internal slot component. to put it in simpler terms, it's like a bottle rubber cap surrounding the glass opening. the exterior part of the card slot is part of the hard casing. I'm talking about the interior which is unexposed.
09-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Mine has just become wider with normal use. If I do the "Push in and shoot the card out" now, it will some times fall on the floor.

I have probably ejected the card 1-2 times each day since I got that camera at launch date.

It will definitely not affect the weather sealing.