Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-7 front focus solved

Hi All,

Very excited to tell you that using debug mode K-7 can adjust AF further than the in-menu.

Debug mode

Cheers,
Tony

09-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
Hi All,

Very excited to tell you that using debug mode K-7 can adjust AF further than the in-menu.

Debug mode

Cheers,
Tony
For me, websites such as "Pentax Hack" should carry a warning: Do not try this at home.

Rob
09-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #3

Maybe they could change their URL to "VoidYourWarranty.com"
09-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
Hi All,

Debug mode

Cheers,
Tony
Tony, this is great. Does it still reatin the changes for each lens ?, or is it only for the whole camera. Also, like in the K10D, does it sya 'debug mode' on the LCD all the time?

Thanks.

09-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tony, can you discuss what lenses you had FF issues with? I had a DA* 16-50 that would front-focus even at -10 adjustment. Were you able to adjust beyond that in debug?
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

in a case like this, I would try to get that fixed on warranty basis. Can't you send in both, camera and lens for fix? Did that recently with K20D and a Tamron lens and both seem to focus quite accurately now.
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Tony, this is great. Does it still reatin the changes for each lens ?, or is it only for the whole camera. Also, like in the K10D, does it sya 'debug mode' on the LCD all the time?

Thanks.
The K10D only says "debug mode" when you leave debug mode enabled. You can disable debug mode, and it will still retain the AF correction you applied.
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi All,

Despite what you are thinking, I am finding this way very pleasantly workable.

pcarfan,

Yes, it tune all lens using the debug menu and you can tune each of the 11 AF sensor individually! So the debug menu is setting up a base value. After that, you can then tune for each lens through the regular custom menu. Pls see my story below.

inferno10,

I bet this will solve your problem. My major problematic lens is FA 50/1.4 since it shows FF when I use chart very near to the lens. I once believe it need more than -10, but today when I try to optimize it with debug menu, I found it should be at -7. So pls make sure you need <-10 for your lens.

All my 3 lens FA 50, DA 16-45, DA 55-300 should be at -7,-6,-5 with no debug AF adjustments. Now I set them at -2,-1,-1 with the debug AF at -40 um. So now every lens seems not so negative and everything is tack on even with 50/1.4 at 1.4! You should definitely tune your K-7 to minus debug AF since according to my experience many K-7 are on the negative side. Problem will only occur if you have some lens that are on a extreme positive end. You know you can only change the base value but not the adjustable range of the AF fine tune for each lens in the custom menu. Hope you won't face such a desperate situation.

And aerodave is right, you just disable the debug mode after all those adjustments and it will be still effective.

kasv,

I guess if I send in they would do the same thing. So why not save the shipment and time and fine tune yourself to get the best results? It is quite simple and you can easily change them back if you screwed things up.

Tony

Last edited by fulcrumx29; 09-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.
09-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi All,

I'd like to share a summary on what I encountered and learnt during the debug AF fine tune.

1. Philosophy

The debug fine tune ajust the basic state of each of your 11 AF sensors separately, which can cure the sensor allignment error, and then you can fine tune every lens with the regular AF adjustment in the custom menu.

2. Guide

Here is some guide to tune the basic state:
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: UPDATED: New Method to Access the Debug Mode of Various Pentax DSLRs
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-m Debug Mode Unleashed! (For AF Correction)

They were written by RiceHigh (this guy really helps this time) for K-m, but K-7 is similar that you just need to change the extension name of your file.

3. Problem and tips

I initially cannot enter the debug menu for hours even if I did copy the right file to the right place. The trick for my K-7 is that you have to keep the SD card door open to let the camera run the commands for the first time. The hack site noted that but not in an easy-to-understand way.

My command is
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
then you can set the debug mode to be enabled. Or you can use
[DEBUG_MODE EN]
to enter the debug mode directly though I did not try that.

Another tip is the that change of AF adjustment value is relative. The indicater below will only tell you the amount that will be added to the value shown by the gauge above the tune line.

I really enjoyed the debug menu even if I may not really need it. It makes Pentax even more playable. Pls read all the instructions above and try it carefully!

Good luck on the game!
Tony

Last edited by fulcrumx29; 09-29-2009 at 07:26 PM.
09-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

One of my AF lenses is at -10 and still a bit suspect. The other is at -4.
For clarification (and simplicity) you are saying that i can set it to -40um in debug and then individually the lenses can be set to 0 and -6. Right?

mike
09-30-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote

Thanks.
Did you try to set AF correction to all lenses to -10 and then tune it for every lens you have? I had big FF with K-7, and setting value to -10 with FA 50 1.4 didn't help me. So I set -10 for all lenses and -7 for FA 50 1.4 and looks it works now ..
09-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Did you try to set AF correction to all lenses to -10 and then tune it for every lens you have? I had big FF with K-7, and setting value to -10 with FA 50 1.4 didn't help me. So I set -10 for all lenses and -7 for FA 50 1.4 and looks it works now ..
According to the manual ("memo" at the top of page 22), if you set a global adjustment (i.e. "Apply all"), it overrides any individual setting. I.e. they are not cumulative.
09-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
According to the manual ("memo" at the top of page 22), if you set a global adjustment (i.e. "Apply all"), it overrides any individual setting. I.e. they are not cumulative.
Yep - in my experience, "apply all" sets the default, and then you can still set "apply one" for an individual lens... hence I would say kolouch's 50mm is set at -7 right now (kolouch, check this in the exif of a recent photo with that lens - the tag is, "AF Adjustment " and I would guess yours will contain the value "-7" )
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Yep - in my experience, "apply all" sets the default, and then you can still set "apply one" for an individual lens... hence I would say kolouch's 50mm is set at -7 right now
If that is the case, then it is contrary to what the manual says. Wouldn't be the first time...
09-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mike,

You are right. It will solve your problem as it did to mine. But the exact number may vary 1 or 2.

Good luck,
Tony