Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What to do....Which camera???

Asking this question is like going to a MAC Users Group meeting and asking whether or not I should get a PC....but here goes...

I have three beautiful lenses:
77mm limited
43mm limited
21mm limited

And a single K10D body (along with flashes and pocket wizards and backdrops, etc...)

I do portraits and wedding photography

I need another body (cause I gave my canon 20D to my son for school)
I need a zoom lens (around the 70-200 range f2.8)

So, do I get another K10D? Or get a K100 and bide my time till the new cameras come out? OR do I go with another brand (say a Nikon d80).. The lens needs to be fast (at least 2.8).

Your honest thoughts welcome

05-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is nothing wrong with going with another K10. I wouldn't hold your breath for the Pentax cameras, because things are still too up in the air to depend on Pentax meeting any type of deadlines for at least another 6 mos.

With respect to the 70-200. I have picked up a couple of fast Sigma to bide time until Pentax delivers on their new zoom series. The Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG is really quite outstanding and can deliver the goods just as well as any Pentax lens in that catogory.

The 100-300 f4 EX DG is also "off the chart" sharp and also in no second rate lens.

If you want to get the Pentax color all you have to do is CC the image 6R and (I think) 2M.

A spare K10 can't be a bad thing even when there is no stress

I also have the K100D and there is nothing wrong with it...especially in low light imaging...where I personally think it performs better than the K10D.

Stephen
05-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My personal choice/opinion would be to get a second compatible body for backup, compatability, etc. reasons. In this case it's a Pentax. Which Pentax tends to be driven by personal preference, budget and availability. Dave
05-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
Asking this question is like going to a MAC Users Group meeting and asking whether or not I should get a PC....but here goes...

I have three beautiful lenses:
77mm limited
43mm limited
21mm limited

And a single K10D body (along with flashes and pocket wizards and backdrops, etc...)

So, do I get another K10D? Or get a K100 and bide my time till the new cameras come out? OR do I go with another brand (say a Nikon d80).. The lens needs to be fast (at least 2.8).

I understand your question and I feel your pain.

With Hoya now in charge and the Pentax board members quiting after Hoya takes over ( news as of 5-25-07), I don't know what to do.

Their are lenses I want and would very much like the K1D when that comes out, but with Hoya now in charge what lenses and cameras will be coming out, as all the Pentax decision makers will be gone and it will be a TOTALLY new company.

I'm waiting, but packing items up for sale. Getting rid of all my limiteds, a special T&S Lens from Russia ( I'll loose my %ss on that one) and about 25 other F and A series lenses. I also have three almost new ZX-5n's film cameras that I would sell.

This whole thing does not sound, (as of now) to good ...... lets hope Hoya tells us their intentions and future goals very quickly.

Yes Pentaxshooter I would change systems but I would wait till Nikon comes out with there new DX3 or D300. If it was not on par with Canon's offerings, I for one would go Canon ..... even though the ergonomics are horrible, the cameras heavy and clumsy, They have all the bells and whistles and every option you can think of ...... something I waited and waited for Pentax to do.

I can only hope that Hoya improves Pentax and starts bringing out the lenses and bodies in a timely fashon ...... That would be great news and make all of us very happy.

wll

05-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Would add another K10D. Deal with Pentax every day and so far it is business as usual. Think Hoya will do a good job with Pentax. Give them a chance. Can't imagine getting rid of my Limiteds. If you are so worried buy the Samsung. They aren't going anywhere. More stable than Nikon!
thanks
barondla
05-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Wil do you have

200 Pentax macro for sale?
thanks
barondla
05-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a K100D. I think that if you're used to using the K10D, it would be a disappointment. It's a fine camera, but there are many things which just plain aren't as slick.
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I understand your question and I feel your pain.

With Hoya now in charge and the Pentax board members quiting after Hoya takes over ( news as of 5-25-07), I don't know what to do.

Their are lenses I want and would very much like the K1D when that comes out, but with Hoya now in charge what lenses and cameras will be coming out, as all the Pentax decision makers will be gone and it will be a TOTALLY new company.

I'm waiting, but packing items up for sale. Getting rid of all my limiteds, a special T&S Lens from Russia ( I'll loose my %ss on that one) and about 25 other F and A series lenses. I also have three almost new ZX-5n's film cameras that I would sell.

This whole thing does not sound, (as of now) to good ...... lets hope Hoya tells us their intentions and future goals very quickly.

Yes Pentaxshooter I would change systems but I would wait till Nikon comes out with there new DX3 or D300. If it was not on par with Canon's offerings, I for one would go Canon ..... even though the ergonomics are horrible, the cameras heavy and clumsy, They have all the bells and whistles and every option you can think of ...... something I waited and waited for Pentax to do.

I can only hope that Hoya improves Pentax and starts bringing out the lenses and bodies in a timely fashon ...... That would be great news and make all of us very happy.

wll
Umm... sorry DPR posted false news again and the board is not gone and what not and in the news today from a real news company that got confirmation from Pentax stated that they are waiting till the 31st to finish the agreement if there is to be one and that no nobody has quit or been booted out. Please stop posting things from DPR are most of it is wrong and until Pentax actually announces anything on their site do not worry. Also Nikkei news more often than not releases analyst information and not actual fact from a Pentax worker so visit bloomberg.com for more actual news.

I would say grab a K100 as you'll be happy with it and when new cameras come out you won't be out as much.

05-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentaxshooter

I have to agree with Dave, your best bet would be to just get another K10D body to maintain compatibility with batteries and grip etc. Plus you won't have to worry about understanding two different camera models worse yet brands on the fly.

The price is cheaper now for the k10D also. Pentax is offering a rebate of $150 when you purchase the K10D and battery grip together so you essentially get the grip for free.
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was wondering why you were trying to sell your K10D, PentaxShooter. What didn't you like about your K10D setup? Maybe that would help us give you suggestions.

You said wedding/portrait photography. This usually involves flash photography, so I'd suggest a Nikon D200 because it has better metering than the D80 (though your arm will get tired...I played w/ a friend's last weekend and it was bloody heavy :-) and Nikon's flash system is more accurate than Canon's.

You'll have lots of takers for your limited lens collection I'm sure if you do decide to move on.
05-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You said wedding/portrait photography. This usually involves flash photography, so I'd suggest a Nikon D200 because it has better metering than the D80 (though your arm will get tired...
If he is going to switch brands, forget the noink. Go for a Fuji s5 pro. Same body as the d200, same flash system but a so much better sensor. I was thinking about one when i decided to sell the canon kit, but decided on pentax instead, hopefully a better choice for me.
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My Honest Thoughts

Nikon makes a great 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens, but it is big and heavy. There's probably nothing currently available for Pentax that will perform as good. The Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 will probably be a fantastic lens (as will the DA* 200mm f2.8), but there will be a wait for them. The Sigma EX lenses are good (I own the Sigma APO 100-300mm f4 EX DG), but I think the best Nikon and Pentax lenses have the edge is quality. And the Sigmas and the older Pentax lenses do not have the in-lens motor.

I think the D80 is comparable in quality to the K10D and it's the lenses and not the bodies that are the critical component in an SLR system. So, if you really need a 70-200mm f2.8 and want the best, either go for the Nikon (if you're ok lugging around a 3.2 lbs lens) or wait for the DA* lenses. Get the camera+lens that will do the job for you. My Pentax gear get the job done for me, but I would buy something else if it better suited my needs: it's a mass-produced consumer commodity; not a religion.
05-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #13

Unless there is something that the K10D does not offer you then I think it would make more sense to purchase the same again. If you need to swap bodies (camera, that is) during a shoot it's much better not to have to deal with a different camera layout - just carry on working.
05-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
Nikon makes a great 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens, but it is big and heavy.
Only 30mm longer and 200g heavier than the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Only 30mm longer and 200g heavier than the Sigma 70-200 f2.8.
Some people might call that "over an inch longer and almost half a pound heavier".

And I think I'd hesitate to preface it with "only".