Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the link, I would say there are some good ones :

Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0031

Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0024

Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0039

Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0051

Flickr Photo Download: IMGP0035

But of cause, I would also like to see Iso 3200 as well. And in some of them, there appear to be motion blur. Maybe it was just a quick testing

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/74946-k-x-high-iso-sample.html

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
It looks like another person has posted ISO1600 pictures from a k-x unit. They seem to be from the same event.

PENTAX K-x Review (KX) - a set on Flickr
Thanks for the new site link. The Olive Kx looks pretty cool, didn't fancy the Km green that much

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
These look quite good as high ISO performance imo. Might be true that the K-X's Sony sensor is the same as in the new Sony 500/550, featuring new technology for improved low light performance. The Sonys don't have video but the flip screen and the extra live-view sensor. Both Pentax and Sony have a shake reduction sensor. Mmmmh...
Well, I hope Sony have improved over their older entry DSLR models. But I fear the same problems persist

Last edited by Jonson PL; 10-11-2009 at 12:59 PM.
10-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Full size K-x ISO 12800 night samples.

In case you haven't seen them yet, some full sized high iso samples in dark:
PENTAX K-x TEST (KX) ISO-12800 & ISO-6400 - a set on Flickr
10-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
In case you haven't seen them yet, some full sized high iso samples in dark:
PENTAX K-x TEST (KX) ISO-12800 & ISO-6400 - a set on Flickr
Wow, these are 12800 shots? Looks like 1600 on my old K2000.
10-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My goodness, these high iso samples are mind boggling....is this even better than some FF?, what the hell is going on.

This is Nikon D3s at 12800, downsized to 8.17 and 6.29 MP

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3s/img/pic_002b.jpg

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3s/img/pic_004b.jpg

10-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
My goodness, these high iso samples are mind boggling....is this even better than some FF?, what the hell is going on.

This is Nikon D3s at 12800, downsized to 8.17 and 6.29 MP

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3s/img/pic_002b.jpg

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3s/img/pic_004b.jpg
They did compare the a500 shots to the A900 and A850 from Sony and the a500 did better surprisingly. I can't find the link but it was on Dyxum, a forum for Sony and Minolta.

These shots are already screaming out to me to return my K-7 and get the K-x instead and my K-7 hasn't even arrived in the mailbox yet, but I'm trying to hold back as much as I can since I need the extra features, ergonomics, and the AF adjustment. But if I do get the K-x, I will save 450 for an extra lens, I really want the 16-45/4.0 and 70 LTD... What a tough decision.
10-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
They did compare the a500 shots to the A900 and A850 from Sony and the a500 did better surprisingly. I can't find the link but it was on Dyxum, a forum for Sony and Minolta.
Yes, I'm very keen to find out more about the Sony A500 (K-x) and 14.2MB A550 (K-7s?...) sensors. There seems to be some good technology going on there.

It lets the cheapest new SLR on the street (in pink and white and rainbow colours even) look pretty good against tools of serious pros like the D3s.
10-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #37
ogl
Pentaxian

I find that K-x "per pixel resolution" is a bit better than 10 MP cameras, and better than K-7. Unexpected results.
To say honest, I'm pixel-peeper sometimes. I like to add shapness to my photos (not much, moderately) and look at 100% size.

K-7 and K20D has better resolution, more details than K200D, but for me K200D looks better visually. K-x is a sweet spot. Low noise at high ISO even without NR is the second surprise.
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

These shots are already screaming out to me to return my K-7 and get the K-x instead and my K-7 hasn't even arrived in the mailbox yet, but I'm trying to hold back as much as I can since I need the extra features, ergonomics, and the AF adjustment. But if I do get the K-x, I will save 450 for an extra lens, I really want the 16-45/4.0 and 70 LTD... What a tough decision.
There is no way the K-x will compete with the K-7. The metering alone is worth the upgrade.

However, in high iso the K-x kills it, but even with the k-7 I am really only wanting to take images at 100 or 200 an may be 400. Even if iso 6400 is good with the k-x it will suck compared to 200. K-x doesn't even have a native iso 100. So, it does better with a feature that I will rarely use, and even when used will not give the ultimate IQ that I would want to hang on the wall or even get into PPG.

10-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

The noise may be pretty low, but I wouldn't shoot at iso 6400 unless I had no other choice. The image quality just isn't that good. Dynamic range goes way down, etc. Far better using a bounce flash, or tripod.
10-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #40

Has anyone side by side compared the K7 vs the KX raw over ISO100-6400?

Just asking.
10-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #41
rjm
Forum Member

So I guess like everyone else here I'm looking carefully at the K-x samples on the web.

1. The JPEG engine is pretty outstanding. Just really nice photos out of the box, only held back really by the kit lens used to take most of them. Colors seem especially nice to my eyes, more than any of the other recent CMOS cameras.

2. ISO 1600, ISO 3200, ISO6400.... just wow. There is no blotchyness, just a fine luminance grain. I haven't found out whether this is the sensor or some magic new processing engine, as I have not found RAW samples or RAW conversions yet. There is some desaturation, and yes, it seems to be some softening of fine detail, but there isn't the hamfisted "smart blur" filtering going on here that I can see.

3. In image after image, I found myself preferring the output from the K-x over the K-7 even at low ISO. Not a systematic evaluation, just a gut feeling kind of thing. The K-x seems to have better deblocking filter, fewer jagged edges on power lines, but the main thing that struck me was how much more natural the colors seemed. Maybe its just the higher default contrast/saturation, but I'm pretty sure its more than that.

Putting my money where my mouth is for once, I ordered my K-x today.

It will arrive in orange, with the black grip. This is going to be fun!
10-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
So I guess like everyone else here I'm looking carefully at the K-x samples on the web.

1. The JPEG engine is pretty outstanding. Just really nice photos out of the box, only held back really by the kit lens used to take most of them. Colors seem especially nice to my eyes, more than any of the other recent CMOS cameras.

2. ISO 1600, ISO 3200, ISO6400.... just wow. There is no blotchyness, just a fine luminance grain. I haven't found out whether this is the sensor or some magic new processing engine, as I have not found RAW samples or RAW conversions yet. There is some desaturation, and yes, it seems to be some softening of fine detail, but there isn't the hamfisted "smart blur" filtering going on here that I can see.

3. In image after image, I found myself preferring the output from the K-x over the K-7 even at low ISO. Not a systematic evaluation, just a gut feeling kind of thing. The K-x seems to have better deblocking filter, fewer jagged edges on power lines, but the main thing that struck me was how much more natural the colors seemed. Maybe its just the higher default contrast/saturation, but I'm pretty sure its more than that.

Putting my money where my mouth is for once, I ordered my K-x today.

It will arrive in orange, with the black grip. This is going to be fun!
i think these new generation of sony sensors are very good.
a5xx series sony cams also show impressive high iso performances.

this is the moment in time i think sony is almost equal or taking over canon on best sensors for high isos.

future is not good for canon because the tag of high iso king is slowly slipping away.