Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 LCD preview in portrait angle.

When previewing an image on the LCD, and I rotate the camera to the portrait orientation, the image flips in the K-7, but at times the image doesn't, when I shake the camera it erratically flickers between the two modes and then settle to either orinetation. This happens a lot, is this normal ?

Thank you.

09-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you hold the camera at an angle, there is a point beyond which it can no longer tell up or down. That's normal - same behaviour with other brand cameras. If its held at a roughly horizontal orientation either portrait or landscape direction, it should rotate correctly.

These sensors work like gyroscopes - in fact they are linked to the camera's SR system. If you deliberately shake it, for sure the camera will get confused.
09-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
No, what I am saying is (which I wasn't too clear) is that this feature doesn't work well all the time. I can rotate the camera 90 degrees and the LCD image just doesn't rotate. This happens about 10% of the time. So, I jiggle the camera to engage the gyroscope and at times it helps.

So, my question to the K-7 owners is, does your LCD preview image goes to portrait orientation 100% of the time, when you rotate the camera at 90 degrees, or do all K-7's have this hick-up at times.

Thank you.
10-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #4

This is normal behavior. If the light meter is not active then the status screen will not rotate. So you have to half press the sutter button and the problem is solved.