09-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which is correct?

Pentax Canada has the specs for the K-x as Safox VIII+, as with the K-7:

Pentax Canada - K-x

Pentax USA has the good old Safox VIII:

PENTAX K-x A High-Performance Entry-Class Digital SLR Camera, Packaging Movie Recording, High-Speed Continuous Shooting and User-Friendly Operation in Compact, Lightweight Body

09-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

AFAIK it is Safox VIII. The VIII+ includes a secondary light source sensor which is absent from the K-x.

Last edited by knoxploration; 09-29-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Slight clarification.
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax's support documents contain the following:

Q: What is different in the new SAFOX VIII+ focusing system on the K-7?

A: There is an additional autofocus sensor that detects the type of light for more accurate focus.

I guess that's the thing that tries to avoid front focus in yellow/orange light. And as far as I know, the K-x doens't have that. But not all SAFOX VIII systems are exactly the same - pretty much all Pentax cameras for years have been listed as SAFOX VIII despite quite a few well-publicized changes made along the way (eg, K-m's improved algorithms for low light focus). So you can't take the mere one-line statement of the name of the focus system to mean it's exactly the same as any other camera.