Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anyone else think the DCresource K-7 review is a tad ridiculous?

Usually I love their reviews, but when I just read the K-7 review, I almost wanted to laugh at how hard he was trying to downplay the Pentax. For example, he says that the SR works with "nearly" all lenses, even though it literally is ALL lenses. His image tests were also incredibly ridiculous, using mediocre lenses when for his Canon ones he ALWAYS uses L lenses. Did anyone else read this?

09-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nope i did not read it.
I try to be reserved when reading reviews, because they are done by humans and are subject to some bias.
If a Canon user takes k-7 and "reviews" it, i doubt he puts much thought into it researching the camera system throroughly. Just picks the camera, does a few "tests" and writes down something he knows and how he feels compared to what's hes used to.
On the other hand it shows how clearly Pentax states its features and how it feels for an average user when you try to use the camera.

For example, after reading the manual you dont get the impression that Pentax DSLR works with ALL lenses. There are those nice tables full of words like "with limitations", when in reality you just stick a 50yrs old lens on your camera and it works. I doubt he had a 50/1.4 Tak laying around to try out or Pentax offered him any of additional accessories like m42 adapter or higher quality lenses.

In such case most objective reviews are plain measurbations which on the other hand miss to evaluate the usefulness of weather sealing, build quality, SR, leaving it as a small note in big spec table.

I wonder why the manufactures does not offer accurate, objective and trorough test of their cameras stating their pros and honestly showing and EXPLAINING cons, because they are the ones that know best how their camera works and why they have made it such way.
09-30-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Usually I love their reviews, but when I just read the K-7 review, I almost wanted to laugh at how hard he was trying to downplay the Pentax. For example, he says that the SR works with "nearly" all lenses, even though it literally is ALL lenses. His image tests were also incredibly ridiculous, using mediocre lenses when for his Canon ones he ALWAYS uses L lenses. Did anyone else read this?
He's generally fairly neutral; he has reviewed most Pentax DSLRs well. You can't blame him for providing mediocre samples if Pentax didn't supply him with lenses that were any better. Maybe a DA Limited would have helped!

And maybe he misrepresented SR a bit, but with non-AF lenses you are on the hook for supplying addition SR fl data which can be a pain for zooms. I guess he meant to say that it works seamlessly with nearly all lenses and that with older ones you need user intervention for it to work properly.

I don't think he was downplaying Pentax at all. Note how he is impressed by the amazingly long menus and he didn't think the standard kit lens was that terrible. He also didn't fuss about noise which I guarantee others will do. He was happy about the 720p video quality and AF (which almost nobody seems to ever be happy with )
09-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can' t agrree with saying that menu is archaic. Otherwise i liek dcresource reviews. And k7 is just great camera.

09-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Quote from said review: "Despite a few flaws -- most of them being easy to work-around -- the Pentax K-7 is an excellent digital SLR, offering features normally found on cameras two or three times its price. Heck, some of the K-7's features won't be found on any other camera. While I doubt that folks with a lot of money invested in other D-SLR systems will be jumping ship for the K-7, owners of Pentax cameras or those just starting out will be lining up to get their hands on this camera, and well they should. The K-7 is a great camera for enthusiasts, and it easily earns my recommendation."

How the heck could anyone read this as a ridiculous or "downplaying" review??

Best wishes
Daniel
09-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #6

I think the OP has an unrealistic expectation of what a critical review is supposed to be (or criticism in general, apparently). His job is not to tell you why you should buy the camera (that's Popular Photography's job), it's to report his experiences with the unique features of the camera. Perhaps this is done by comparison with other cameras and sometimes it's done by simply critiquing the function from his own personal standpoint. I'd really hate for a reviewer to go easy on a camera manufacturer - you want to talk about stagnation? I much prefer them to be honest (first and foremost) and practical. It doesn't have to be a perfect camera, just share what's weird about it and also what it excels at.
09-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Igilligan

SR does not work with all lenses!

Did not read the review... Dont care really, but

He is absolutely correct... try using SR with any older (non-A) Manual zoom...

09-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Not really that surprising though? My understanding is that the effectiveness of SR depends a lot on the input focal length, so with a more "elderly" zoom, the camera doesn't have the first clue what its actually being used for that shot focal length is (no signal back to camera telling it what it is unlike newer ones?), so the camera doesn't know what to do/how to compensate?
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Not really that surprising though? My understanding is that the effectiveness of SR depends a lot on the input focal length, so with a more "elderly" zoom, the camera doesn't have the first clue what its actually being used for that shot focal length is (no signal back to camera telling it what it is unlike newer ones?), so the camera doesn't know what to do/how to compensate?
Common knowledge is to just set the SR focal length value to the shortest focal length of the lens (i.e. for a 70-210mm lens, one would set SR to 70)
09-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think the reviewer meant any harm. as I had mentioned before, reviews are succeptible to errors and flaws. some of them are inconclusive and subject to bias judgement. but for the most part of the review article, it's quite accurate from that certain lenses that he used. anyway, I'm sure that every knowledgeable camera person would distinguish an accurate review from that of a total BS. but for your ordinary customer next door, there is quite a danger of getting persuaded by biased salesperson or even misunderstanding. that's why Pentax should do a lot of promotions.
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #11

Menu Madness!

I apologize if I am petty with Jeff's admitted pettiness but I do not see such a huge (quantifiable) difference in menu quality between brands and while Jeff can say what he wants I fail to share in his disappointment. I simply cant remember a time where i was tripped up by graphics or a font. I mean if Pentax added a green box to surround the text with a drop shadow im sure my keeper rate would go up no doubt!
And Button clutter? I think thats reaching a bit considering the Cameras he compares too. Does the D30s have less buttons? Maybe he thinks they are close together?

In reality it is a favourable review but he has let the same complaints slide for others. Perhaps he was embarrassed about liking it too much so he slipped in a few zingers!

Cheers
Roger
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Common knowledge is to just set the SR focal length value to the shortest focal length of the lens (i.e. for a 70-210mm lens, one would set SR to 70)
Hmmm. I didn't know that. I learned some common knowledge today!
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't "button clutter" another way of saying "easily accessed controls"?
09-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I thought it was a pretty good, positive review, taking into consideration he's probably not as familiar with Pentax cameras as he may be with Canons/Nikons.

Certainly more upbeat than DCResource's K20D review done last year.

Some of his criticisms e.g. buttons, menu style etc. are just a wash for experienced Pentax users.
09-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, I had no idea that SR wasn't useful on every lens. That's what I was always told. Anyways, he compares it to models that are entirely out of the range of the K-7 as well. The 7D is NOT a comparison, the Canon 50D would be a much better one (although it lacks video), and the D300s comparison is almost laughable. Either way I really don't take his reviews with as much appreciation now that I've read that review, in the past I've always thought he was never partial to anything.