Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

I love my K10D, but now I am scared of loss.

I was a weekend warrior with a hasselblad 500 c/m for 10 years.

Now I am hooked on digital forever. In sum, due to its overall flexibility and control both pre & post shooting.

However, I am concerned [due to my paranoid nature] about the future of Pentax and the K10D. I chose the K10D because of its very familiar control ala film photography [I can keep my eye on the shot and play with the buttons].

Is the K10D or Pentax going towards digital with a mind to hold onto what makes photography more art than science? I passed on the Nikon D40X because of the giving of art control to robotic menuing.

Is this the beginning of something great? Will Pentax and now Samsung's GX10 continue with making digital cameras and lenses with an eye towards tradition? Will the new DA* lenses finally get here? Will Pentax make future DA* 400, 500, 600mm primes?

Forgive me for ranting. I have fallen in love and now I am terrified of losing her.

05-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I really don't see why Pentax would want to change anything. They have found a winning recipe and people are starting to notice it.

Re the lenses, I'm hearing that Pentax has an incredible amount of preorders on the DA* 16-50 and 50-135, so I don't see why they would scrap them at this stage, and it would seem stupid of them not to get the rest of the series on the market as soon as possible.

I really don't think you have anything at all to fear.
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The real answer? Nobody knows for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by rdrum76 Quote

Now I am hooked on digital forever. In sum, due to its overall flexibility and control both pre & post shooting.

However, I am concerned [due to my paranoid nature] about the future of Pentax and the K10D. I chose the K10D because of its very familiar control ala film photography [I can keep my eye on the shot and play with the buttons].

Is the K10D or Pentax going towards digital with a mind to hold onto what makes photography more art than science? I passed on the Nikon D40X because of the giving of art control to robotic menuing.

Is this the beginning of something great? Will Pentax and now Samsung's GX10 continue with making digital cameras and lenses with an eye towards tradition? Will the new DA* lenses finally get here? Will Pentax make future DA* 400, 500, 600mm primes?

Forgive me for ranting. I have fallen in love and now I am terrified of losing her.
You will probably get the whole gamut of answers from Hoya will be good for Pentax and Pentax will continue to produce cameras similar to those it now produces. (basically my view) Others will say that Hoya will marginalize Pentax's imaging division and it will continue, but limping along as a third or fourth tier bit player. Sitll others will say Pentax is toast Hoya will either destroy or sell the imaging division. IMHO this last group is the most vocal, relishing in doom and gloom. The real answer is that things are still unresolved. Nobody (prolly not even Pentax or Hoya) knows what will happen in the next month or so. The good news is, we will probably find out before the end of June.

NaCl(hang in there, nothing has been settled yet)H2O
05-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First off, as long as your K10D works, and there's more good glass out there than you own, why worry so much?

If you ever need ot replace your K10D, there will always be cameras out there with what customers perceive as good controls. For something like photography, that will always mean something with direct access (ex: press a button or turn a knob) to key functions, and if necessary, very shallow access to important but less time critical functions (hold down a button AND turn a knob).

Now as for thngs like viewfinders as we know them? Might be a different story, but I suspect they'll be here until display technology has something that looks and works well in a dim room and a brightly lit desert without a lot of human intervention.

05-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Really, in the Grand scheme of things:

IT'S A CAMERA.

It's diodes,circuits, and wires. It won't be your last camera, either....
It's just not healthy to worry so much about an inanimate object.
It's kinda funny watching people pay so much attention to the Business affairs of a Camera Company. It's really got some people tripping. I couldn't care less.
I have a D and a K100D, and at the end of the day, they still work great!
But they'll be history eventually, and I'll get another camera.
If Pentax survives, that's GREAT ! But if they don't, they don't.
And nothing anybody can do about it.

So go take some pictures.
05-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #6

Pentax died five years ago...so it is only uphill from there.
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

...OK...

It's all good..believe me. If it was not, why would Pentax be spending a small fortune here in France on the up and coming "Salon de la Photos" in October to share their new wares..Relax, really.

Ben

Ben

05-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #8

From what I read you will have a long and happy life together - if not, the odd one-night-stand doesn't do you any real harm!
05-26-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your support

Thanks for taking the time to post. I won't worry about things out of my control.

It is not easy being a control freak.

Thanks again
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No worry!

Pentax will be around a long time. They may have different owners but they will still be here, and probably stronger and better a year from now. Go over to DPreview and read my post about the princess and the mean stepmother.(Pentax going down?)