Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Κ7 Question.

Well I do not want to start anything here but how do you think the K7 will fair between the 7D?
already people have bought the 7D in the States and UK and the high ISO shots make the D300 and D90 run and hide under a small rock, but I am not asking about high ISO performance as the 7D has the K7 beat,
but as in general.

10-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Well I do not want to start anything here but how do you think the K7 will fair between the 7D?
already people have bought the 7D in the States and UK and the high ISO shots make the D300 and D90 run and hide under a small rock, but I am not asking about high ISO performance as the 7D has the K7 beat,
but as in general.
having second thoughts?

answer: details and Pentax color. you'd surely miss the Pentax Glass.
10-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
having second thoughts?

answer: details and Pentax color. you'd surely miss the Pentax Glass.
No I already have the K7 and it is a great machine one that I will keep for sure,
just a thought that crossed my mind but i do think that the K7 has stuff that the 7D does not.
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it will depend on price. If the Cannon stays $500 more than the Pentax it will definitely out sell it, but the K7 will have it's admirers too. For a lot of people $500 is going to be alot of money for some it won't matter. Pentax is never going to sell more cameras than Cannon or Nikon. That doesn't mean they will go out of business.

(I'm guessing the K7 even though I finally bought one. will come down to just under $1000 after Xmas, but I could be wrong.)

Believe it or not there are a lot of camera buyers who don't really care about high ISO performance. I'm not saying it's a majority.

Pentax is and always will be a niche market camera company. That works for me.

Now if I wanted to large selection of zoom lenses or high ISO, I might look at Cannon. They are really great cameras.

The real market for the K7 is people who want to be out shooting all the time regardless of the weather with the DA prime lenses (which I believe the camera was optimized for). That's not a giant market but it's big enough.

I actually think Pentax will do quite well with the K7 and the Kx.

10-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

From what I've seen of the 7D, it has yet to demonstrate superior high ISO performance to, for example, the D90. I'd await more proper test reviews of the 7D before making that call.

The 15 MP Canon 500D/50D are certainly less than stellar high ISO performers - barely any different from the K20D for example. Canon would need to have done something really special to boost the 7D's high ISO performance whilst simultaneously boosting pixel density even further than the 50D.

The higher resolution compared to the K7 has a certain attraction to me, especially for stuff like landscape work, but translating that extra resolution into something usable for most purposes for most people is academic (who prints at A2 size and above regularly?).

Other than that, the 7D is attractive relative to Pentax for the usual reasons: the wider range of lenses and accessories you get with Canon vs Pentax etc.
10-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

The 15 MP Canon 500D/50D are certainly less than stellar high ISO performers - barely any different from the K20D for example.
The British mag "Digital Camera Essentials" (issue #87) did a comparative test between the Pentax K7 and the Canon 50D, and they proclaimed (surprise!!!) the K7 the winner.

They said:

"We cannot believe how much technology Pentax has crammed into this DSLR-the features we discussed really only scratched the surface."
10-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The British mag "Digital Camera Essentials" (issue #87) did a comparative test between the Pentax K7 and the Canon 50D, and they proclaimed (surprise!!!) the K7 the winner.
I was actually just thinking specifically about high-ISO.

As you can see from my chart below, the 50/500D are practically the same as the K20D when it comes to high-ISO, and the K7 probably closely matches the performance of the K20D. (DXO haven't tested the K7 yet).

Unless they really have come up with some breakthrough technology, I don't expect the 7D to do much better than the 500D in regards to high ISO.

If that's the case, then I don't expect the 7D's high ISO performance to eclipse the K7's either.

10-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7D offers weather sealing and a far smaller and lighter package. Even though 250g or so doesn't seem like much, for a hiker like myself .5lbs over 40km is an extra 20 lbs. Combine that with in-body IS and that further reduces the weight of the lens set you have to carry and its becomes a whole different ball game for the outdoor photographer.

The D90 was the closest thing when I was making my decision of whether to keep the K20D and add a K-7 or switch to the Nikon camp. When I compared my options, I felt that the D90 + D300 combo didn't offer me the same kind of features or flexibility. Similar arguments for Canon.

In the end, they're all good tools. As much as I love my gear, it doesn't make the images for me and are certainly not the limiter in my imaging pipeline.