Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7 Dust Removal ??

I've heard and felt the dust removal system on the K20D, and the K2000 (k-m). I recently aquired the K-7, and I don't hear or feel the dust removal. Yes, the camera is set for the dust removal to be activated upon start-up.

Is the K-7 'stelathy' and quiet compared to the other Pentax DSLRs with regard to the dust removal system??

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 10-01-2009 at 01:09 PM.
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I heard it uses a different / better system

QuoteQuote:
The K-7 defaults to run the dust reduction at startup as it is really inaudible next to the sound of the sensor shifting to position (which is just a slight tick noise, sounds like the aperture stepping down almost).
10-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK- good- so "quiet" dust removal is normal for the K-7. I thought that perhaps is wasn't working since I didn't hear it.
10-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

If you listen carefully, you will hear a short buzzing sound, a bit like a charging flash, for less than a second. If you can't hear it during power on, try the manual dust removal from the menu to figure out the sound. It's quite obvious once you know what it sounds like.

10-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, the K7 uses an ultrasonic dust removal system, unlike the sensor-shake dust removal of earlier Pentax DSLRs.
12-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #6

Hello there.

i just got my K-7 and i was wondering what kind of sound the K-7 makes when it shakes it sensor to clean dust.. when i power on my K-7 it kinda makes a screeching sound.. is that okee?. it's really faint but i can hear it.. it's like 2 screeches...

with my Pentax k10d you really FELT it.. but now u don't feel it and the screeching makes me nervous..

so is it okee?.

TNX!
12-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaizard Quote
Hello there.

i just got my K-7 and i was wondering what kind of sound the K-7 makes when it shakes it sensor to clean dust.. when i power on my K-7 it kinda makes a screeching sound.. is that okee?. it's really faint but i can hear it.. it's like 2 screeches...

with my Pentax k10d you really FELT it.. but now u don't feel it and the screeching makes me nervous..

so is it okee?.

TNX!
Yes, the extremely high-pitched screeching sound is the ultrasonic dust-removal function in action.
12-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I heard it uses a different / better system
Indeed, it works at a very high frequency and to my field experience, it is *much* better than my K10D (the K20D uses the same system).

Also, check out the dust alert function.

- Bert

12-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
I've heard and felt the dust removal system on the K20D, and the K2000 (k-m). I recently aquired the K-7, and I don't hear or feel the dust removal. Yes, the camera is set for the dust removal to be activated upon start-up.

Is the K-7 'stelathy' and quiet compared to the other Pentax DSLRs with regard to the dust removal system??
As others have said - yes is the answer. I can also vouch for the fact that the new system is vastly more effective than previous bodies. Loads of lens changes over several months and I've yet to encounter any dust issues! The system is supposed to be much more similar to Olympus SSWF: acknowledged to be best in class.