Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #1

PLease help! - 'memory card error' on Pentax K100D

I have had my K100D for over two years without a single problem and I love it!
I am about to go travelling for a year in 3 weeks time and my camera in the last few days reads 'memory card error'.
I thought it may have something to do with the card reader slot so took it along to a local camera repair man who cleaned out the card reader slot and said that was in perfect working order but still the error.
I have a brand-new 4GB card that has never been used but when I put it into the camera and swith it on, the error message comes up.
I searched online and someone suggested to take out batteries, leave for a few minutes then put the memory card in, replace batteries then turn on. No use
I think it must be some software issue as opposed to mechanical error and am desperate to try and find out what, as if I have to send it off for repair, it may very well take longer than three weeks.
Would really appreciated any advice at all.
Many thanks!

10-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ophelia,
if you bought a sdhc type card I think the k100d needs a firmware update to use it. I guess you have to use a sd card for the update then you should be good.Here's a link Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #3

Without a firmware update, the K100D will only read SD cards up to 2GB. Once you apply the firmware you can use 4GB cards. I've never done the upgrade myself as I have two 2GB cards that I always use.