Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #16
Nubi

I really like how my pictures turn out with K-7. In fact, I love them, especially when printed with my epson 3800. It has more depth, more 3D, more film-like. For what I do, I like them far better than K20. The color rendition to me looks less "artificial." My FA 50 f/1.4 seems to perform in brighter surroundings, perhaps owing to 1/8000 shutter speed. I feel like I have more control. I didn't think I would before I bought it, but I also enjoying using filters. Yes with that I can only shoot in jpeg, but that is alright. True, out-of-the-box jpeg setting I don't like sometimes, but it gives you more flexibility. I discover more stuff daily in terms what it can do. Everyday is a surprise.

10-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Rich...I have read that review - that was the main catalyst in me deciding to buy one!
I suppose I just wanted to hear from everyday people with experience of both cameras..
10-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I am not very qualified to make such a evaluation since I just received the (small & amazing) K7 three days ago, but I can tell you this:

From spending a couple of days with the K7 (and previously owning the K20D) I have just today decided that I am selling my Canon 5D - the K7 is a capable replacement in so many ways
10-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote
I am not very qualified to make such a evaluation since I just received the (small & amazing) K7 three days ago, but I can tell you this:

From spending a couple of days with the K7 (and previously owning the K20D) I have just today decided that I am selling my Canon 5D - the K7 is a capable replacement in so many ways

Sounds good Henrik...one in the eye for the canon-nikon brigade

Last edited by kositoes; 10-05-2009 at 04:10 AM.
10-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #20

I was in the same boat as Henrik. I was a Canon 5D owner with L lenses and switched to the K-7 and limited lenses. I was a prime shooter during my film days and it was good to "come home" to a camera that was 1) small and built like a tank without a lot of plastic crap everywhere, 2) find a compact lens / camera combination(s) that can serve a specific function, 3) get a camera that has amazing white balance control for a ton of settings (halogen, tungsten, flourescent), 4) get good AF speed and more importantly accuracy, 5) just enjoy the advantages of the customization available in the controls.
10-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5D to a K-7 seems to be an interesting trade up. On the one hand you have the advantage of the FF for really wide landscape work and lower noise but with the K-7 you gaing the form factor and (IMHO) better ergonomics.

Just goes to show that it's not always about just the technology.
10-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh:
Just goes to show that it's not always about just the technology.
I know it's blasphemy around these parts but I have to say that there are only two advantages to full frame cameras, low light performance (since the photon receptors are so huge), and a huge viewfinder (really not that much bigger than the K-7). There are some other perks such as not having to calculate focal lengths in your head but there's really nothing else that "matters". The disadvantages were pretty numerous including form factor, huge and heavy lenses, and the brutal requirements for lenses. Pentax limiteds were what sold me on the line and it's been a great move. They are works of art and it makes me smile every time I pull one out of the camera bag. That's really what photography is about for me. Not 4.5 lb. bricks hung around my neck that give me the same print quality.