Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
how good is the K7?

Right I have just ordered my new K7...managed to get a body for 1000 and cant wait for it to arrive!
My question is compared to my Samsung GX20 or the K20d just how much better is the K7?
I have read numerous articles on it and all its exciting new features ....mostly favourable - but id love to hear from someone with a bit of hands on experience of both..

10-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shutter is the best improvement; it's also much easier to hold without a grip, and the screen is a big upgrade as well. Image quality is comparable to that of the K20D, as both are great cameras. And, obviously, the entire menu and much of the button layout has been redesigned, so while it took me a while to get used to the new features, I think that the k-7 is still a worthy upgrade.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Adam Im soooo looking forward to it arriving!
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kositoes Quote
Right I have just ordered my new K7...managed to get a body for 1000 and cant wait for it to arrive!
My question is compared to my Samsung GX20 or the K20d just how much better is the K7?
I have read numerous articles on it and all its exciting new features ....mostly favourable - but id love to hear from someone with a bit of hands on experience of both..
What does better mean to you ??? The K7 and K20D are two different beasts. IQ output wise, they are probably fairly close. This being said, the K7 offers a number of features and characteristics that makes it a much better photographic tool IMO. If functionality, ergonomics, size, accuracy doesn't mean anything to you as long as you get a sharp pictures, then I'd say the K7 has nothing to offer over the K20D. If functionality means something to you, then I'd say that the K7 is indeed much better !

10-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I realise the m.p and sensor are the same size on the k7 as the gx20 and the k20d...but i am hoping the improved AF and metering will be beneficial to my photography style(mainly wild birds)then you have the HD movie mode...and the 5.2 fps...and the higher max shutter speed...surely all these things will lead to improved images?well obv not the HD mode!
10-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't really think my K-7 pictures look any different from my K20 pictures, but I am definitely enjoying the process of getting them more than with the K20.
The K-7 is a much more refined tool in pretty much every respect. The K20 is a very well laid out and specified camera on it's own, but the K-7 definitely takes it a notch or two.
10-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-7 has more hits than misses.
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #8

One thing that you may like to do is change the default Bright setting in the Menu to Natural, This removes any sharpening that the Camera applies and will give you much less noise in your images.
If you choose to use the D range settings to control highlights / shadows then you will be unable to use ISO 100.
The Camera itself is wonderful to use with the Big bright Viewfinder, The Autofocus is Fast and Silent with DA* lenses and the Video has blown many a dedicated Videographer away with it`s quality (Though i would rccommend an external Mic if you plan to use it regularly)
I use a Rode Stereo Mic and i have Power Producer 7 Editing software, About 35 from play.com (post free in U.K)
I`m sure that you will be very pleased with this Camera

10-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't really think my K-7 pictures look any different from my K20 pictures, but I am definitely enjoying the process of getting them more than with the K20.
The K-7 is a much more refined tool in pretty much every respect. The K20 is a very well laid out and specified camera on it's own, but the K-7 definitely takes it a notch or two.
I'll agree with this wholeheartedly. For birding, the K-7 just eliminates some of the frustrations I had with the performance of the K20, like being able to get a subject in the VF, but not being able to lock focus on it before it flew off. The differences are barely discernible, but I walk away from just about every shoot thinking how I probably wouldn't have gotten some of those shots with the K20.

Probably the most noticeable differences for me are the enhanced ability to accurately track BIF and the greater sensitivity of the AF system. The shorter VF blackout periods make tracking considerably easier, and I can push some of my slower telephotos a bit further with TCs than with any previous Pentax bodies.

I also take fewer shots with a higher percentage of spot on images. This all makes me very happy. . .

Scott
10-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Scott...with my Gx20 only around 10 out of 50 images were acceptable,you have made me very happy!!
10-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Whitewings,thanks for that...very valuable info!!
10-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
cheers Wheatfield!
10-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
K-7 has more hits than misses.

hopefully so!!
thanks
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #14

How about just read the official review by DPReview.com.
10-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kositoes Quote
hopefully so!!
thanks
you don't need to hope. it does. just check my signature.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-02-2009 at 10:43 PM.