Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Expertise needed for camera selection

After plans for a new K2000 fell through, I am in need of the forumís expertise.

Iíve decided to purchase a used dslr in the *ist D series to K100D Super range. The Pentax system is completely new to me and other than what research I have done here on PentaxForums and elsewhere, I am kind of in the dark. I wonder if any of the members would have recommendations.

I have seen some of these cameras for sale here in the marketplace and online. and the prices look tempting but which one, if any?

10-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Jools.
You need to decide what features mean more to you, and how soon you are looking to get a camera.
You may find a *ist D (a more pro-grade camera when first released) difficult to use if starting out, but it is a very decent and cheap camera thesedays - it's also not commonly found on the forum marketplace/eBay given its age. The *ist DL and DS series are generally quite good also, with fewer controls on the body, and a K100D is another slight improvement on those.

Best to have a look at the forum's Camera Review database found under the Reviews tab above. These not only have information about each camera's features, but also user reviews, giving you an insight as to what mattered to each user - and so what would matter to you...
10-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I read the camera reviews and that's what created more questions in my head. Of the reviews, the *ist DS, *ist DL, K100d, and K100d Super are on my list.

From what I know so far, the K100d Super would be the best choice for the features it offers. It would be nice to have shake reduction and the ability to use SDM lenses but it's not a requirement just yet, for me. Maybe I am wrong about this since I have never owned a dslr. In fact, I have never owned an autofocus lens; it's been all film and manual focus.

I've been working with a point and shoot in the digital age and am frustrated the results pale in comparison to film. So now, I am looking to a dslr.
10-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I am assuming that at some time yoou will wish to upgrade, but since for now, you want to get into pentax with a used 6MP camera, then you will also be starting out with used lenses.

If so, and you are looking at potentially MF lenses, and manual aperture, you have a decision in my view.

YOu can go for K100 / K100 super and have shake reduction, or, go for an *istD or DS and have the advantage of a better prism, penta prism vs penta mirror, AND on the D and DS you get TTL flash, which allows flash photography with manual aperture lenses.

For me, this would be a big advantage if you are just starting out, but want flash and plan to get used Manual aperture lenses. They are a lot lower cost used than A series or AF lenses, and optically they are still very good.

10-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No way would I even consider buying a body without SR at this point.
10-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What specifically makes you say that?
Not having handled one with or without SR, I'm going through this purely on intuition. It would seem to me that SR would be a huge benefit.
Are dslr's unsteadier than a film camera? Or is it something else.
10-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

why not wait a little and get the new K-x. it's pack with features that you might wanna use later on and i think its the best value for money right now. or maybe a used k200D if you find any at a good price.
10-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I guess it depends on how long you want to use the camera and when you want to move up. The K100/K100 super are great little cameras. Auto focus is a little slow and buffer fills up fast, but they can take excellent photos, even at quite high iso. I agree about shake reduction being necessary. It can easily make hand held shooting possible in places that you would never have dreamed of shooting with film without a flash.

I think the best deal that I saw posted for a new camera was that Costco had a K2000 with dual kit lens for 499. Pretty amazing.

10-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wait a little longer for the new Pentax K-x.
The sensor is a lot better than the outgoing K-m/K2000.
Forget the older Pentax DSLRs... they may still be in working condition, but they are out-classed and obsolete compared to the current crop of cameras.
10-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Forum Member

I just picked up a K2000

About a month before Pentax announced the Kx and I wish I had known it was coming out. I think I would have waited.
10-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
What specifically makes you say that?
Not having handled one with or without SR, I'm going through this purely on intuition. It would seem to me that SR would be a huge benefit.
Was this directed at me? Perhaps you misunderstood my meaning, because of the double negative. I'm saying I will only buy a camera *with* SR. I will *not* buy one *without* it. Can one take pictures without it? Obviously; people did so for over a century. And they fought camera shake that whole time. SR exists, it works, and I won't give it up any more than I'd give up AF, a built in meter, or any other "modern" convenience that people did in fact successfully do without. I mean, if someone gave me a manual focus camera for free, sure, I'd take it, just for fun. But if I'm looking to buy a camera, it's going to have a meter, AF, and SR. That's basic equipment for camera today in my book.
10-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #12

piling on my two cents

Marc and Lowell nailed it here.

This is the exact internal debate I had when I bought my first DSLR. I knew I would be using manual focus and old lenses.. so I wanted the DS. But it wasnt until SR came out that the whole DSLR thing became a "must" for me.

I just couldn't afford the higher end K10 to get the pentaprism with SR. So I got the K100D. I dont like to use flash and the SR saves so many indoor snapshots. I also dont carry around a tripod and the SR saves so many shots of my kids sports activities... afternoon soccer or baseball games with an M200/4 @ISO800. Even if I get the shutter up to 1/250 to stop subject motion, if I am handholding at 200mm I would lose shots without SR.

That said, I still lose shots because of slow buffer and missed focus. So I am craving the K-7 for the speed and pentaprism (and seals and size)

-k
10-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed in this regard do consider the K10D if cost is a big issue also - the SR is somewhat better than on the K100D and is a more pro-specced camera. Its only 'deficiency' would be in high ISO performance.
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am assuming that at some time yoou will wish to upgrade, but since for now, you want to get into pentax with a used 6MP camera, then you will also be starting out with used lenses.

If so, and you are looking at potentially MF lenses, and manual aperture, you have a decision in my view.

YOu can go for K100 / K100 super and have shake reduction, or, go for an *istD or DS and have the advantage of a better prism, penta prism vs penta mirror, AND on the D and DS you get TTL flash, which allows flash photography with manual aperture lenses.

For me, this would be a big advantage if you are just starting out, but want flash and plan to get used Manual aperture lenses. They are a lot lower cost used than A series or AF lenses, and optically they are still very good.
I think Lowell is giving some sound advice. If you've been shooting film with manual lenses, then the lack of AF speed and frame rate will probably be largely irrelevant to your style of shooting -- so the D and DS, with the better pentaprism VFs could be a significant feature. Being able to buy a very good TTL flash for 10Ę on the dollar for a comparable P-TTL gun is a significant advantage, and lack of SR can be offset,and sometimes bettered with the high ISO performance of the Sony 6mp sensor over film. By taking advantage of the wide variety of great A series MF lenses, one could put together a very competent kit for very reasonable money.

If I didn't use the speed advantages of the newest K's, I'd be pretty happy with the feature set of the D. As it is, I still shoot long tele with the DS and don't really miss SR that much when I do. . .

That being said, SR and the large LCD (as well as having all the benefits of the great 6mp sensor) are nice features on the K100DS, and I also enjoy the he!! out of shooting with this body on occasion when I feel the need to slow things down and be more deliberate. . .

Scott