Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DX0 now supports K10D

DX0 now supports the Pentax K10D, along with three specific lenses. I didn't get much time to play with this, but from what I saw it is a pretty cool product.

Supported cameras & lenses

05-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any idea about other lenses?

Hi Rick,

I found the results to be quite good - limited as my experience is so far - even when using just the guided settings.
On the pc I was using (ibm thinkpad R51) it worked rather slow but with very pleasing results.

However, since I only have the two kit lenses available right now, I was wondering about the result with the K10D and a non-supported lens.

Could you shed some light on this?

I compared some results against Bibble (Perfectly clear), Lightroom (Auto tone) and Jpeg out of the K10D (Sharpening +2, Contrast +1, as suggested by Jeff Keller). For me, DxO won.
I'm aware each of these programs can be used far better than on 'auto' but I wasn't out to test my skills with these tools but rather the tools themselves being at their "zero" settings (where did I hear that before?)
05-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
DX0 now supports the Pentax K10D, along with three specific lenses. I didn't get much time to play with this, but from what I saw it is a pretty cool product.

Supported cameras & lenses
It's a start. But at this point only the consumer grade zooms are supported. Hopefully the new DA* 16-50 and 50-135 will also get on the list. I have both on order and they will be my first digital specific glass. Untill now I have been using the same lenses used with my MZs.

Regardless, it speaks to the fact that Pentax is now making the kind of market penatration that will attract some third party product support.

Cheers, Mike.
05-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I downloaded the trial version, but it didnt find out that images are taken with K10 and the kit lens. Even though exif info says it indeed is taken with a k10d.. A bit strange i might say?
Edit: i actually saw a k10d at the local "electronics-store" where they've previously only had Canikons..

06-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Libbe,

This is very strange. Did your installation completed normally?
When you check (Help - DxO Modules), do you actually see 'Pentax K10D / Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL' amongst them?
06-01-2007, 04:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I indeed checked that it was completed normally, and i only installed support for the k10 + the lenses. So it really is strange.
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
It's a start. But at this point only the consumer grade zooms are supported. Hopefully the new DA* 16-50 and 50-135 will also get on the list.
I would prefer if Dx0 added lenses using the theory of those they believe are most likely to be in circulation. Example: there are going to be far, far more Sigma 17-70's in use out there than the DA* series - many of which are going to be outside of the financial reach of a good number of us.

Furthermore, where lens correction is concerned, a kit lens/mid range lens is going to show far more dramatic improvement with correction than a DA* lens will. It would be interesting to see if a very high quality lens shows as much improvement as, say, the current kit lens. My guess is that the kit lens would be the biggest benefactor.

I don't own this software yet, but watching what it did with the images a friend took with his D200 (and a pretty nice piece of glass), it certainly caught my interest and is on my shopping list. And the current 20% discount is just more temptation, but I just shelled out for monitor calibrating equipment, so...