Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #1

Possible SD Cards Issue

Good morning all,
I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue.

I formatted a "quality" 4gb SD card (Kingston, I believe) in my K20d, however the card-reader I have attached to my PC does not recognize the card. I needed to connect the camera to the PC to get the pictures off the card. Is it being caused by the format process?

The card reader is one of the 6 in one card reader types and works fine with the other cards in the household (cf & xd).

I'm not 100% convinced that it's not the reader, but just wanted to check and see if anyone else has run into this.

-Chris

Last edited by WCMans; 10-03-2009 at 06:58 AM.
10-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #2

WCMans - Your reader might be okay with "SD" cards - up to 2GB. The ones - SDHC - over 2GB, don't read in older readers. I have a 2002 (about) - one that only reads SD to 2GB. I bought one a couple of months back - when the old reader wouldn't read the 4GB Transcend SDHC I bought for my Canon SX10. Readers are now quite cheap - just check that whatever you buy is marked for SDHC.

Regards, Dave.
10-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WCMans Quote
Good morning all,

I formatted a "quality" 4gb SD card (Kingston, I believe) in my K20d, however the card-reader I have attached to my PC does not recognize the card. I needed to connect the camera to the PC to get the pictures off the card. Is it being caused by the format process?

The card reader is one of the 6 in one card reader types and works fine with the other cards in the household (cf & xd).

I'm not 100% convinced that it's not the reader, but just wanted to check and see if anyone else has run into this.

-Chris
I had the same problem. My old reader couldn't read SDHC. Plus, I think it's faster just to plug the camera into the computer.
10-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Banned

I use the 30mb/sec Sandisk SDHC reader.

10-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ran into this problem last week. I picked up a SDHC reader from Fry's Electronics for $10. It does the job.
10-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WCMans Quote
Good morning all,

-Chris
I had this happen with a Panasonic 8gb card ...threw it away and went back to my Sandisk Extreem III cards. I made a resolution to resist buying cheap cards from now on. And btw, the only high speed card reader I could find locally was a Lexar, works fine with the Sandisk cards. My previous so called high speed reader has been retired!
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your feedback everyone!!! As it turns out it was the card reader, likely for the suggested issue of the 2gb limitation. All other cards in the household are < 2GB. I went out and got a new SDHC reader and all is well.

Thanks again,
Chris