Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cold Weather Shooting

So i was out by the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY a few days ago getting some sunset/night shots. Had both my K200 and ZX-7 (film) Got about 30-40 shots with the K200 then kept saying the battery was dead. The ZX-7 with 2 CR2 batteries shot the other 2 hours I was there no problems. They batteries in the K200 weren't fresh and i'm almost positive they were recharables. I'm assuming it was just the cold (around freezing with wind chill) so onto my actual question.

So anyway my question is does anyone have some tricks for keeping a K200 alive in the cold. Lithium's? Eneloops? A casing, or just maybe keeping batteries in your pocket to keep them warm?

Thanks in advance ~T

10-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keep your batteries as warm as possible. Keep a spare set close to your body, and swap your two sets when one gets cold. Keep the camera out of thw wind as much as possible.

That's about it.
10-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shot a lot in the cold last winter (at least 4 days @ -20c) and did not do anything special, kept the spare batteries in a inside pockets and switched them as needed; and batteries that showed sign of being dead came back to life after warming them up.

Be careful when bringing the camera back inside after a while on the outside, try to bring back to temperature as slowly as possible to prevent condensation buildup.

Max.