Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was wandering around Amsterdam a few weeks ago with a K20 and 85mm Super Tak, the amount of craned necks from the competition was kinda funny.
Best part of my trip was a big discussion in a coffee shop with a load of strangers about the tactile feel of the takumar's movement
I'm pretty sure I got a load of converts right there

10-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have always worn the PENTAX neck strap, making sure the red lettering is showing. Just recently I started to get neck strain, perhaps due to the 18-200 Tamron. So I've begun to use a harness designed for birders with binos. If I had a way to attach a Pentax logo I would!

No one in the field has ever said anything to me about the Pentax brand.
10-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I'm a logo guy. I love going to the photo shoots with all the Canon and Nikon people around and wearing my Pentax hat or t-shirt. I also have the Pentax sling bag, and I keep my camera over the shoulder with the Pentax strap plainly visible.
I am somewhat like Russ I have 5 DSLR's and they all have the Pentax straps
which I in no way try to conceal that fact. Was at a hot air Baloon launch the other day with my K20/16-45mm. When a Canon shooter stopped and wanted to know what pentax I was shooting shooting. We discussed photography for 30 minutes and not once did Brands come up after the opening lines Saw one other Pentax shooter, so I complimented her on her choice in cameras. jim
10-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As for being conspicous, thi will get you noticed anywhere you are set up. jim

Last edited by jmc7104; 10-02-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: forgot the pic.
10-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I appear to be pretty low profile when I'm out shooting with my DSLRs, as I sport Domke "No-Logo" Gripper straps & relatively inconspicuous prime lenses. I do, however, attract interested attention when out shooting with one of my 35mm 50's folders or MF Zeiss Ikonta & Minolta Autocord TLR.
10-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm walking around taking pictures, you'll never see the strap around my neck because I wrap the strap around my right hand.

When I'm walking from one place to another, I'll put the camera away because I like having both hands free.

I've only had one person come up to me in the wild about shooting Pentax, and that was on the very first time I ever took it out to shoot with. My camera club has 3 other Pentax shooters and my dad and brother shoot Pentax, but I don't come across other Pentaxians.
10-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I'm a 'low profile' shooter.

I blacked-out the logos on my camera and use a simple, black Domke gripper strap.
When not being used everything resides in an inconspicious black Domke canvas shoulder bag.

I like my gear and will talk about it ad naseum but don't need shout it out or draw attention to my self needlessly.

10-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really don't give a rats ass what other people shoot with.
Pentax zealots remind me very much of those insufferable Mac zealots who you just want to smack upside the head with a baseball bat.
Agreeed.

I generally carry a camera "in the open" on an R-strap, but my gear is usually gaffer taped up with no logos / model numbers / visible red rings on lenses. Two reasons for that: it gets a lot less attention from people who might want to make it their own, and Canon/Olympus/Pentax don't pay me to advertise their gear. It also weeds out the people who want to chat about photo stuff just because they see I use brand X -- nowadays, if somebody comes up to chat it's because they are interested in photography instead. Much improved.

My one dead giveaway is the 400/5.6 -- hard to make a big white lens disappear. Especially when mounted on a Bogen 393 like Jim's setup above.
10-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
Hi,

Just thought I'd put this out there, after spending a few days in tourist-central (historical Athens) I saw a mass of DSLRs, lots of Canon, Nikon, a few Olys and Sonys and three Pentax (a K100, K10 and M-m - all with kit lens, I didn't try to remember, I just have that kind of memory, don't judge me.).
Beautiful photo. I'm not after logos and especially big corp logos but I feel wearing the 'other' gear and logo is kind of defying the "following the crowd worshiping the multi million corp" mentality, as long as the 'other' gear is better than anything else (at least my K100 , it's mine after all). I wear my cam all the time when I'm on a hike or a street walk which I conceive as a possible photo-op, lens cap permanently off during that time (what are filters for?). The best photos are often spontaneous and about capturing a moment. I somtimes even put the cam besides myself when I'm driving. Do as you feel comfortable with, but I feel you'd like an encouragement to go out bold and proud
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

A Pentax is like a nice sports car...lots of control (maybe more than most people want to put up with when taking a photograph).
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
(I also saw a D700 used on timer on a fully extended $10 tripod in high wind used to capture the photoist and partner against a boring background - OK I'm a snob, but sorry...)
It's all about tradeoffs. Nothing like being able to shoot at ISO6400 just to keep shutter to 1/8000 and not have to carry a heady tripod when a light one will do
10-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I am not sure why someone would be "proud" to wear a Pentax camera or strap or lens or hat or T shirt or underwear or, for that matter, any other camera.

I did a lot of research before buying my K100d. Pride had nothing to do with it. Features and dollars is what helped me decide.

I wear a very drab Optech strap simply beacause I find it more comfortable than the rather narrow Pentax strap.

As it is I feel much too obvious with my camera and a big lens. I want to be as unobtrusive as possible.

However, what other people think is completely immaterial. I have no desire to either please or displease them.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 10-04-2009 at 02:01 AM.
10-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax strap is still on the camera. It works. And it would cost additional to buy some other.
I have no idea if other people notice that what I have is not a Nikon or a Canon. But I'm glad I have a K100D instead of a small/light other DSLR.
10-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I mainly don't like bright logos (of any kind). That's aside, when there's a place with crowded tourists, I'm always proudly get my K20D which has a cheap handstrap on, get in between the bunch of C and N shooters and shoot away.
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My k7 is around my neck most of the time while wandering. I get weird looks as I still have the focus beep turned on (I find the beep works well to alert me when the moving bird/animal is in focus and i'm concentrating on tracking them). Haven't been able to figure out if its the beep or the pentax logo on the strap that has them confused.