Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I don't worry about showing a Pentax logo as far as theft goes: in fact, not being one of the targeted brands,
There is some truth to what you say..a month ago I was out taking photos at night in my city getting accustomed to my New K-7 where I was followed by two drunk guys who took offence to me being around. I was savagely beaten ...strangled, kicked and punched..I had mostly head injuries..one of them tried to take my camera...I couldn't help but notice the look on his face when he saw it was a Pentax. And I had my Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 on it, He just dropped it and left me to fend for myself. (don't worry, I'm fine now..I just have one more piece of titanium in my head)

so yes, Pentax cameras are least likely to be stolen, due to the fact that they are a niche player and not very well known in the general public...I imagine the reaction would have been the same if I had my Leica M3 with a Noctilux on it...speaking of Leica, my sister had her jewellery stolen a few years ago but the idiot left her Leica M6 TTL alone..

the truth, is that your average lowlife thief is usually just in for the quick cash and most of them(There are exceptions) have the intelligence of a trash compactor....why else would they be stealing in the first place?

PS. the two guys were caught, and both of them have been charged with grievous bodily harm and robbery.

10-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There is some truth to what you say..a month ago I was out taking photos at night in my city getting accustomed to my New K-7 where I was followed by two drunk guys who took offence to me being around. I was savagely beaten ...strangled, kicked and punched..I had mostly head injuries..one of them tried to take my camera...I couldn't help but notice the look on his face when he saw it was a Pentax. And I had my Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 on it, He just dropped it and left me to fend for myself. (don't worry, I'm fine now..I just have one more piece of titanium in my head)
Holy crap. Sorry to hear of this. Good to know you made it through and especially good to know they got caught. I hope they get whats coming to them. This is why I carry a pocket knife with me at all times, and depending on where im going, a gun.
10-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

so yes, Pentax cameras are least likely to be stolen, due to the fact that they are a niche player and not very well known in the general public...I imagine the reaction would have been the same if I had my Leica M3 with a Noctilux on it...speaking of Leica, my sister had her jewellery stolen a few years ago but the idiot left her Leica M6 TTL alone..

the truth, is that your average lowlife thief is usually just in for the quick cash and most of them(There are exceptions) have the intelligence of a trash compactor....why else would they be stealing in the first place?

PS. the two guys were caught, and both of them have been charged with grievous bodily harm and robbery.
is that a normal everyday life in Australia?
10-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by malkin Quote
I am over 50 and female. Logos or no, I might as well be under a cloak of invisibility.
I'd notice you... and your camera.

10-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #65
Forum Member

Digitalis - very sorry to hear about your savage beating. On the bright side you still have your K7 and the 50 f1.2. There was a story floating round about a guy who beat off some bad guys with his M3. He sent it in for a cleaning/repair after (blood/hair etc). Leica did the cleaning/repair for free when they heard the story. Too bad we don't have a story about how the K7's magnesium alloy body helped to bash the two baddies after you. He was probably used to AF EOS lenses and couldn't handle the manual focus ones like the 50.

On another note, my sister and her family lives in Melbourne. Is random crime endemic there?
10-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lady! That's awful, Digitalis, but I'm glad you came through it.
I wonder what is *wrong* with people, sometimes.

At least you got to keep that lovely rig.
10-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Lady! That's awful, Digitalis, but I'm glad you came through it.
I wonder what is *wrong* with people, sometimes.

At least you got to keep that lovely rig.
I know this is OT but for those who are wondering:

I did pick up the camera after the twit dropped it.. and the K-7 and the pentax K 50mm f/1.2 handled the rough treatment very well, though that isn't what I would normally subject a camera to. only a nick on the camera body, and the lens had some blood on it (my own)...and no-this isn't typically what happens in Adelaide. The two males were both four times the legal alcohol limit, and one of them was half aboriginal and they are well known to be aggressive when they are drunk.

I still have double vision but that only is bothersome if I'm looking at something where my visual fields overlap. Since most of the damage was on the left half of my face it was relatively easy to repair, and it was a good thing I have private health cover, I actually changed private health cover a month before from another company so I had free coverage on all the things I needed that night.
10-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #68
Pentaxian

also, I don't like the idea of using a camera as a weapon,I have more respect for my cameras than that. it's not what they are designed for. besides I managed just fine, I escaped that head-lock using a few tricks of my own ;-)

I also took a photo of myself while I was in the emergency ward, I didn't have a mirror and I wanted to clean off the blood on my eye..so out came the K-7..taking a self portrait with an manual focus f/1.2 lens isn't easy.

10-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #69
Forum Member

Wow, it sounds like are lucky to be alive. I can understand what you mean about having respect for your camera. I take very good care of my equipment - but if I was in a life and death type situation like you were in then I would use the camera as a weapon in self defense. Although my polycarbonate body K10D would not be able to do the kind of damage a Spotmatic could. Maybe I should upgrade to the K7 just in case....
Here is a to a speedy and full recovery, do let us know how that progresses.
10-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Very sad happenings. Glad that you recovered and your spirit was always high. Such incidents happen in certain parts of all the Metro cities around the world.

Atindra
10-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
is that a normal everyday life in Australia?
Sadly these kind of attacks are happening more & more in this so called civilized age.

This kind of behavior is becoming more widespread as the licenced liquor outlets are now being allowed to stay open 24/7.
10-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #72
Veteran Member

I was in Adelaide last year for Writers' Week and Womadelaide (during the 15 day record-breaking heatwave), and walked the 2.5kms home to my aunts house each night having been told that Adelaide was one of the safest cities in Aus. Of course, I was still aware and weary (but that has more to do with where I was raised). As Atindra points out, this sort of thing happens everywhere, sadly increasingly so in first world countries where you have the combination of readily available booze and bored teens with too much freedom, time and money. Glad you (and your gear) pulled through Digitalis. Wounds heal, cameras don't.

Coming back to the topic, I've moved my original K200D strap to an old Pentax P30n and replaced it with a plain black, broader and slightly longer one for both comfort and stealth. Crime here is a very real possibility, so I like my gear to be as discreet as possible. K200D, small prime and black jacket with camera slung over the shoulder is my usual wander-about wear. When in use, the camera goes in hand with the strap around my wrist. I don't want someone trying to run off with my camera with me still attached to it by the neck. Sadly, I suspect thieves here don't discriminate between brands.

Occasionally I take the hefty 70-210/2.8 out, but fortunately being an older (MF) one it's all black too. I sling the strap over my shoulder and use the tripod mount to ease the weight by hooking it onto my belt. Cover with a coat and it's about as unobtrusive as I can make 2kgs of gear look. It would certainly make for a semi-decent weapon, though sadly guns are the weapon of choice in my city, reducing the effectiveness of a blunt object.

Aside from the practical reasons, I've never much cared for branded gear, even if it is a brand I'm proud to support. I don't want to be a free billboard for anyone.
10-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #73
Veteran Member

...he says, disregarding his forum signature :P