Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Are we too odd as well as too few or is it just me?

Hi,

Just thought I'd put this out there, after spending a few days in tourist-central (historical Athens) I saw a mass of DSLRs, lots of Canon, Nikon, a few Olys and Sonys and three Pentax (a K100, K10 and M-m - all with kit lens, I didn't try to remember, I just have that kind of memory, don't judge me.).

Walking around these sights I saw loads of bright camera straps on display and I could pick out the brands very easily. Lots of happy tourists with cameras around their necks snapping at the nearest stone (I also saw a D700 used on timer on a fully extended $10 tripod in high wind used to capture the photoist and partner against a boring background - OK I'm a snob, but sorry...)

Well, wading though all this I had a K-7 with me, twinned with 10-20, 21ltd, 35ltd, 70ltd. Stayed in my little crumpler bag pretty much all the time. It tends to when I'm out enjoying myself rather than photographing.

So, is it just me that leaves the camera in it's bag a lot of the time unless it's a photo-blitz or have I been missing all the Pentaxians because they're busy being stealthy as well? Even when it's out I like to keep it discrete when possible, a 21 and holding it down at my side or over my shoulder where it is available fast but almost invisible.

How many of you guys are hiders, how many are 'loud and proud round the neck types' (nothing wrong with that btw - it just hurts my neck if I do it), have we got any palm-strap under the coat hyperfocal speedsters in the house? How do you hold your camera?

I would love to know, I'm willing to try anything once and maybe someone's got something new for me?

Or should I be wearing my big red and black Pentax strap out in the open more to help brand recognition? (because EVERYBODY looks at me...yeah...sure they do...)

Does anyone think we have some arcane responsibility to promote that which we shoot by visibly branding ourselves, does anybody out here just like the logo?

Do Pentax make socks?

OK, that was my question, and some irrelevant bits...OK...lots of irrelevant bits...

BTW - I did succumb to a couple of photographs though, this being a 180Deg pano on my tabletop tripod (yes, I know, I complained about cheap tripods earlier but I'm a hypocrite, I'm at home with that.)...

larger size here, if that's your thing...

10-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a feeling I'm not always as inconspicuous as I think I am

Of late I don't even have a dslr. But several of my film cams sport bright Pentax straps, even the Fuji. And if not Pentas, I have a bright blue Sony one on my Diacord TLR. Yeah, the TLR does attract a bit of attention.

Actually, I hate exposing big lenses more than the cameras - so when out and about, I usually only use primes.

Several of my cams only have a wrist strap - mostly folders and range finders - though I love using a Program Plus with the neck strap wrapped around my wrist. That's probably as inconspicuous as it gets.

To be honest: I sometimes envy those who go out fully decked with their big bad cameras. I'm not even sure which makes me shrink more: an ordinary big lens dSLR around my neck, or a 'cool retro' vintage camera.
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First off very cool shot. Nice panoramic. Secondly - I am anything but discrete most times but that is not a result of me flagging Pentax hats, socks and underwear I am usually carrying a few lenses in either a SlingPro 200 or a Crumbler 7 million dollar bag.

I often wear the K20D, battery grip and let's say the DA* 50-135 attached - hardly a small combo. I did buy a third party thicker padded neck strap as I am with you on the hurt the neck thing.

I really don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks or where I am. I have been in places where I have been told I have to put the camera away , and I do as requested I am not a A-hole

For me I like to shoot. I like to shoot almost everything , landscapes, people, street, buildings, etc - this is especially true if I am some sort of Holiday be it the beautiful oceans of the Caribbean or the crowded strip of Las Vegas.

So yeah it's just you - seriously just different styles - me I do it , but not as a card carrying member of any brand Pentax or any other , but because I love photography and as mentioned don't really care what others think.
10-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I really love the pano shot. I'm a classicist (Ph.D. in Greek/Latin) and although my subject was literature rather than archaeology or art, I have certainly seen my share of photos of Athens! But this is a novel shot to me - and I love the tourist on the left reading his guide book. Kudos (as the Greeks say)! This is a prize winner in my book.

To answer your question (which is less important than your wonderful photo), I use Pentax camera straps. When the camera is with me, it's usually out with the strap around my shoulder. I leave the camera in the bag only if I'm hiking.

I have other camera straps. SmugMug gave me a very nice one when I signed up for apro membership years ago. But I don't use 'em. I figure Pentax needs the publicity.

And yes, we are both few AND odd. ;^)

Will

10-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like OEM neck straps, nothing wrong with them. I don't mind using them and never consider it a show off. I personally do not find them uncomfortable, or at least I have not come across any comfortable ones. I like Domke straps, but I hate their metal loops/clips. Taking tripod, the saleman was not impressed when he knew I was using Pentax and buying the Gitzo G1349 with B1 head. Now this is a big tripod with tiny Pentax on top.
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I normally use an Op/Tech neck strap. But if I know I will be taking photos for more than a few hours, I use an Op/Tech harness.

Most of the time I use a K10D body with either a Sigma 18-50 or a Tamron 18-250. Other lenses stay in the backpack until needed.
10-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #7

I use A pentax Neoprene Camera Strap with my K7 and DA* lenses and i find it extremely comfortable. I don`t generally use myself as an advertising billboard but the Pentax logo usually sparks some interesting conversations !.
Very nice Panorama by the way!

10-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm another one of those "show offs"...
I mean, I don't spend hard earned £££ to lug my kit as additional weight to my 12.5st to get fit. The same storry goes for lenses. I just don't get people who buy stuff like FAltds and then bring Tamron 18-250 instead (no offence intented). I buy stuff to enjoy it. Of course if there isn't that much to photograph, or I'm not in the mood, or my wife isn't then yes, let's put the stuff away. During our Egypt trip, we had cameras in our hans all the time. And the hell we enjoyed it. Every minute of it. Talks, ideas we shared etc...
I like it that way, I don't judge people who do it differently. We are all different. I do too spy on others cameras, and frankly I started to enjoy being the only Pentax guy around. It's kind of fun when you get K10+31ltd to some of the folks who look like they have just walked out of the high street camera store, where they told them that EOS1000 is the "bestest" pro camera in the world, and they are looking for zoom. Or folks shooting landscapes with built in flash, or night scenery with built in flash etc....
and as far as straps go, I use those provided by manufacturer + Kenro hand grip. So the hand grip to the right and strap to the left. If I walk or I'm in stage where I don't anticipate immediate shot opportunity, I just sling the camera on shoulder. If I'm on location I carry it holding the grip. It's easy, effective and I don't suffer neck pain.
anyway....

BR
Peter

Last edited by axl; 10-02-2009 at 12:32 PM.
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't give a rats ass what other people shoot with.
Pentax zealots remind me very much of those insufferable Mac zealots who you just want to smack upside the head with a baseball bat.
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

proudly wear my pentax strap - i even carry the pentax DSLR sling pack! unmistakeable black and red - nothing better.
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really don't give a rats ass what other people shoot with.
Pentax zealots remind me very much of those insufferable Mac zealots who you just want to smack upside the head with a baseball bat.
true, I don't mind other brands either... as long as they don't keep bugging you why are you with Pentax when ...... they have is so much better. I'm tired of that.

BR
Peter
10-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the real question is not that pentax shooters hide their cameras, but perhaps they are not the same as tourists.

Sure I take my camera out and about when on a hiliday, but that is not all I shoot. Pentax due to the market share may not be that attractive to pure tourists, you made note of the lenses the pentax shooters had, but did you make note of what the canikon shooters used?

How many of them had serious lenses?

by the way, when out with my K10D you can't mis the strap, it's the one with a canadian flag neatly attached right in the middle of the strap, usually wrapped around my wrist
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Wear that Pentax strap and wear it proud!

I do, except it's wrapped around my wrist.

It seems a bit small to be used as a neck strap, unless of course the wearer is a tiny japanese woman.
10-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
true, I don't mind other brands either... as long as they don't keep bugging you why are you with Pentax when ...... they have is so much better. I'm tired of that.

BR
Peter
I don't get bugged. Probably has something to do with being just about 2 meters tall and about 120 kilos with not a lot of fat showing.
OTOH, if someone asks, I'm not above telling them how much better Pentax glass is and how when the shutter is open, it's all about the lens that is between sensor and subject.
10-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm a logo guy. I love going to the photo shoots with all the Canon and Nikon people around and wearing my Pentax hat or t-shirt. I also have the Pentax sling bag, and I keep my camera over the shoulder with the Pentax strap plainly visible.