Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a tall and massive bearded white man surrounded by an ocean of Japanese.

I stand out like a turd in a punch bowl no matter what I do, so the whole notion of agonizing over straps with or without logos and the idea that taping over a camera name would do anything to make me less conspicuous strikes me like something from another planet.

10-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

My wife and I just got back from Maui. Wore the camera around my neck about 75% of the time with the Pentax strap. Nothing to hide. I purposely chose Pentax and I'm very happy with my choice. As for what others use and what others think; I couldn't care less.
10-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really don't give a rats ass what other people shoot with.
Pentax zealots remind me very much of those insufferable Mac zealots who you just want to smack upside the head with a baseball bat.
I agree with point number one..... unless it's worth more than a car and they have no idea.

As far as point 2 goes.... I can't stand those insufferable ANTI-Mac zealot zealots.

Bring the gear you've got! have fun!

Comfort goes a long way too. I wear it over the neck and with one arm through the strap, camera on my back..... like a rifle. It's comfiy. No one will rip it off you. It's easy to get to while still leaving both arms free.
10-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm a tall and massive bearded white man surrounded by an ocean of Japanese...
I'm a tall modestly bearded white man who spent 2 weeks touring around Japan back in the film days. One advantage I had is I could see and photograph over everyone's head.

10-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #35

We are odd, we don't follow the crowd and have chosen a camera brand that most other photographers don't use. That aside, I use the OEM neckstrap because I like it, it works well. I carry my gear (K200D and ME Super) in a Pentax 3-compartment sling bag because I like the design and I got a great deal on it. I get questions, usually from people that have used a Pentax SLR sometime in the past and did not realize that Pentax was still in business.
10-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the original skinny Pentax strap with the rubber shoulder pad on my two K cameras and the wide red cloth strap with the red Pentax logo on all the others.

I don't care one way or the other what people think about Pentax or my straps - in the wild or here.

I like them.
10-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
My wife and I just got back from Maui. Wore the camera around my neck about 75% of the time with the Pentax strap. Nothing to hide. I purposely chose Pentax and I'm very happy with my choice. As for what others use and what others think; I couldn't care less.
Are you same JamesD who used to participate on Kodak Talk Forum of DPR?

Atindra

10-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I sport Neck-strap most of the time while shooting. It makes holding camera very safe. Only time when I am in terrains and climbing up or down, I choose backpack as better option. But I hate to take it out and in when using backpack. Pentax logo on the strap makes a bold statement and may be people take notice of it but I rarely pay attention to it.
I was shooting with my Pentax in my cousin's wedding (just few shots for my personal family memory) and the same time Wedding photographers both from bride and the groom side were shooting with their canons and Nikons and were looking at me. After the ceremony they had little chat about me using Pentax among themselves. And later one of them came to me and asked some general questions about my gear. They said they saw first time some body shooting with Pentax in wedding in India as people always go for Nikon or Canon. He told Pentax is not easily available in India, I told I know that and thats why I bought it from USA.

Atindra
10-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

my Pentax K-7 is getting a bit more of an attention. I get the usual glance at the neckstrap logo. more recently, I had my K-7 taken out during one bus ride. it was full so I needed to stand along at the back end of the bus. one person sitting infront of me kept on looking at my K-7 and looked amazed on how easily I was holding it and would simply hold it up with ease to avoid getting in the way.
10-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm too busy shooting pictures to notice if anyone is gawking at my camera.

If someone has an uptight attitude because I have a Pentax and they have something else that they think is better, oh well. Who cares? I didn't go there to compare cameras. I came to take pics. Mirror up or shut up.

I use the neck strap that came with the camera because I would rather save the money to put towards a lens rather than buying more neck straps.
10-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I think a good strap is a solid investment in comfort. Hell, an Op Tech strap that's 10x better than any factory strap costs around $15 here. The R-strap I prefer and use the most was more expensive, but well worth if when I carry bigger gear around since it gets out of the way and doesn't put any strain on my neck. You guys say you want to save money, but I suspect there's just some Pentax Pride in the works
10-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I have committed sacrilege with my Pentax strap, I cut it in half and added a few inches from another strap, stitched in and glued for strength. Reason? I carry my K100D around while riding a pushbike sometimes and with the longer strap I can have the camera in a small hip Lowepro camera bag with both the camera strap and the bag strap over my furthest shoulder; the Lowepro is also attached to my belt with another small strap. Then when I stop to take a shot it's just a quick release catch on the bag to squeeze and I can lift the camera out with no chance of dropping it as the strap is already round my neck. I don't even have to get off the bike usually.
10-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #43

I am over 50 and female. Logos or no, I might as well be under a cloak of invisibility.
10-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #44
Inactive Account

I'm in the "who cares" camp - I wear my Pentax strap because it works and I can't see the need for a new one, I have my camera out around my neck when I'm shooting, and in the bag when I'm not. I often have the 50-135mm on, and if a 150cm 4"11 girl can handle it so can you

And I've never had any comments or even wary looks - people probably figure I can't do any damage with all 45kg of my weight - that or I'm too short for them to see anyway
10-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I have a red Pentax T-shirt that I bought off the Pentax web store awhile back and I wear it around sometimes whether or not I have my camera equipment with me. I also have a K2000 at the moment only and the strap is tiny! I wrap my camera around my neck a lot whenever I am ready to take photos. Otherwise I Just leave it in my backpack and I carry my backpack around with me ALWAYS, whether the camera is out or not. I have my flash, lenses, filters, and cleaning gear in the backpack. No matter how heavy my backpack is weight is not a problem, I even carry my school text books around with it.