Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 now DP-Reviewed

No spoilers -- check it out for yourself...

10-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About time! The K-8 is almost out...
10-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

finally . It took so long to get proper review. Well I am happy that dpreview was positive about pentax, only I do not agree that iso looks worse than k20d. IMHO k7 noise is a bit different and looks more pleasant
10-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

I'm thankful that they had a balanced review. The review is fair and matches well with my experiences with the K-7. They were forthright with the things that will be improved in the upcoming K-8 and were fair with their impressions. Well done, DPReview!

Let the nitpicking of their reivew begin! For what it's worth, I cringed when I saw that their review was posted not because it would affect my impressions of the K-7 but because of the bellyaching that would ensue in this forum if they had bashed it!

10-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That can't be right...where's the "just"???
10-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Forum Member

Is there any hint on the k-8?
any chance of release for the holidays?
Any chance of autofocus video?
10-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Funny that they mention at the beginning that the K-7 came out in May. It 'only' took them 5 month to write this review.

I am glad that they pay much more attention on raw image quality now, but still a lot of the conclusions and the main emphasize are based on the jpg output. Still missing is the a dynamic range comparison of the raw output. (anyone remember that jpg-biased *ist DS review?)

It is interesting to see now that even the K20D high iso is comparable to Nikon and Canon raw.

10-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I didn't even think to look at Pentax for my first DSLR. The name didn't even pop into my head. I first saw the K10D on DPReview.com and despite the cons they listed, I thought I'd check it out. I fell in love with it and bought it. Hopefully this review helps sales of the K7.
10-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

Im thankful just to end the speculation and let peps actually go out and appreciate their cameras for themselves and not need DPR's validation.
10-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I didn't even think to look at Pentax for my first DSLR. The name didn't even pop into my head. I first saw the K10D on DPReview.com and despite the cons they listed, I thought I'd check it out. I fell in love with it and bought it. Hopefully this review helps sales of the K7.
The only DSLR's I saw anywhere were Nikons and Canons and some Sony's and Olympus in online ads but not in stores at the time. I googled Pentax and found out they also made a DSLR and I went in search for one. If I had never owned a Pentax before I would never have even looked. The reviews for the K10D were very positive and that certainly helped but to be honest, if I wasn't specificly looking for a Pentax review I would probably have passed it by. The 2 things mentioned in all the K10D reviews were "weather resistant" and "built like a tank" and that overruled the few cons. However, I still believe Pentax needs to get their cameras into some stores and get back some of the brand recognition they once had.
10-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I wonder why the value is only 8.5 when the D300s is like $700 more expensive...
10-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Is it me or did they say that the K20d has the best RAW noise performance across the board out of the three cameras??? Seriously? Everyone always nitches about how the d300 and 50d low it out of the water in Noise performance. Apparently not. Very interesting.
10-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
GSk
Inactive Account

Finally

Nice to see a K-7 review that recognizes the strengths of this camera. I have seen magazine reviews where the Sony A330 receive the same score on build quality and features as the Pentax K-7. The DP Review of K-7 is close to how I would review it.
10-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
That can't be right...where's the "just"???
Ha ha -- the first thing I did was go to the end and look for the "just".
10-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm glad that the dpreview gave the K-7 part of the credit it deserves. I don't not understand the ratings (e.g., "features" and "value") in comparison to the D300 but that's not as important as avoiding the dreaded "Just ...".

I was puzzled, though, how the reviewers managed to combine two positive aspects -- 100% viewfinder & automatic lens distortion correction -- into one negative: You cannot see the final image in the viewfinder. Oh well...

I also think they underrated the horizon correction feature and think it is not fair to subject the camera to a 1.7 degree tilt to observe that this (out of specification) degree of tilt is not entirely corrected.

Anyhow, the review could have been easily more enthusiastic but it could have been easily a lot worse. Although, I believe dpreview would have lost a lot of credibility by trying to knock an obviously highly recommendable product.

Last edited by Class A; 10-06-2009 at 12:00 AM.