Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. While I didn't buy the camera as a 'fashion' accessory, I was attracted to the white body for a unique look. There are some situations where I'd rather it seem more relaxed (and fun) - mainly with portraits and group shots, and I can see the white K2000 achieving that more so than a black body and battery grip. None-the-less, I will try it out for a bit. I'm used to shooting a dslr with a grip, so this does feel odd to me right now (too small). Hopefully that feeling goes away.

I do like that the controls and output are essentially the same as my K200D. That will certainly make using both together rather easy.

I will probably use a 'rangefinder' like thin neck strap. I'm not one for hanging a camera around my neck, but if I am using the K200D and K2000 together, that will be my only option. Neck strap on the K2000 and wrist/hand strap on the K200D.

I believe I will add a split image focus screen to the K2000 and use primarily with my M lenses since it defaults to center point focus with them anyway.

10-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are the main reasons I'm considering it - for people to be more relaxed with portraits and street photography. However, I don't want to look really dumb with it - my SO said she thinks I'd look like a really lame tourist - which might be good for street photography.

I am a bit concerned that the white will become tarnished with dirt and so forth when other people handle the camera. Any observations with that?
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks for putting up those nice product shots - the official ones only go so far, I am surprised nobody has shown off the white km before! Also, to the comment about a camo version, wasnt there a limited olive km as well? I am going to Toronto next week, was really hoping my Kx would ship by last night (had it on 1 day) but had to cancel the order (dont want it to arrive while I am gone!). I may end up waiting for a Red one. I would definitely need to see it in person before I knew if I were in love, haha. Otherwise, white it will be. I am hoping they are going to be released when BH and adorama open up from their extended holiday closures!
10-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Nice! finally I see some pics of a white camera with other lenses. And I like the look with the limited and M series. Maybe I will go through with the white K-x. Red / Navy Blue don't seem like they would go as well with the green trim on the limiteds.

If you ever get a chance, have a photo taken with you holding it, or it on its strap at your side.
Like this?

10-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

yes, thanks.

Does it make it easier to take candids? Is it blinding in the light? Does it look odd with (long) black lenses? Does it keep the camera cooler when out in the sun?
10-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #21

Tough questions, because I do not have a black one to compare. Neither do I have any longer black lenses (the kit lenses were white, too), the one in the picture is a FA50, which is pretty compact.

My personal opinion is that it looks good with black lenses, but a bit odd with the white ones. It's almost like a toy camera.

As for candid shots, my experience is that people generally don't care. The camera looks very non-threatening. At least I have never been aproached by anyone. Aside from the white body, a big reason for that might be that I never use a lens hood and most of the time I look like a slightly confused tourist just passing by. Camera in one hand, snack/cell phone/map/book/bag in the other.

The most important factor for me is that *I* like the white color. That means I enjoy picking the camera up, taking it everywhere with me and using it. I always look forward to using it. I know this might sound a bit stupid, but it definitely forced me to take lots of pictures and learn quite a lot about photography.
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #22

I've got the plain black one, which provoked a reaction of "wow, it's tiny!" from a pro photographer friend with a top of the range Sony Alpha. I like it though - the controls are all easy to reach and while it has a pleasing weight to it you don't need arms like Arnie to carry it for long periods. Plus with the kit lens, a few filters, spare batteries, spare SD card, remote control and USB cable I can fit it into a very discreet bag.

The 18-55mm lens is a very handy piece of kit and will produce fine results even in "point and shoot" mode. I'm looking for a hood for mine but all I seem to see are ones to fit the filter thread, when I want one to clip onto the bayonet-type mount on the front of the lens body. Does anyone have a part number that I can use when searching?
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Interesting, I thought the same thing about the white kit lens, but others have said they like it with the white in pictures. I have an 18-55 II black that I may use with it, which is nice with the quick shift focus and hood, but I don't know if I'd be able to sell the 18-55 white kit lens. If only they offered white body only, so far all I've seen is black body only K-x.

10-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just as a follow-up from the above discussions, I am really growing to love the white KM. It's a fun size for carrying with me every day to work (more so than the K200D with grip). I really love using the DA Ltd's with this (and I feel they look great). Once I get a focussing screen, I can see it being very enjoyable with my M lenses.

I don't see the white getting dirty or showing wear that much worse than a black body. That being said, I am not going to worry about it. I am going to use it. I really haven't used the kit lenses yet, but I am not terribly fond of their white color. Again, I am not going to worry about them, just use them. They do have nice IQ for what they are.
10-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
Like this?

Soooo, is that a camera or does your shirt have a tumor?! I can't wait for my white kx!
10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think you should be required to wear THIS when shooting with it

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-58335627202752_2076_7814665

10-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I never noticed how dressy a storm troopers shoes were!
10-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Interesting, I thought the same thing about the white kit lens, but others have said they like it with the white in pictures. I have an 18-55 II black that I may use with it, which is nice with the quick shift focus and hood, but I don't know if I'd be able to sell the 18-55 white kit lens. If only they offered white body only, so far all I've seen is black body only K-x.
Give me a good enough deal and I won't care what color it is.