Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 04:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The only thing I got locally was the K100D - my first dSLR. From Ted's.
$1,100 with the kit lens and ordinary Sigma 70-300. Thought it was a bargain at the time.

Found out prices are much better here or with B&H and the like.
So I've not looked back since then.
K10D and *ist D from fellow forum members.
K20D from Adorama.
All glassware from B&H, KEH and this forum.
I don't even bother trying to get CRK to match the prices I find elsewhere, I just shop elsewhere...
Well thats so true, I shopped around and scored the AF540 from a Canadian company for around $400 AUD. The cheapest I could get it locally DIRECT at trade price from CRK was around $650, OUCH!

Although I must admit I feel safer ordering my lenses locally, the prices I was quoted for a 50mm f1.4 Sigma direct though was equal to what it wouldve cost me to import from the US.

10-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with assessments of prices locally. Have bought my last 6 lenses in the USA (Sigma 100-300 f4, FA 50 1.4, Sigma 7-200 2.8, DA*300 4, and 2 Kenko TCs). For example, local price on DA*300 was $2600, but I got it at Adorama for USD1095. At that price, I don't need a warranty because I could almost buy 2 of them in the US for the Oz price. However, my experience suggests it was worth it to buy the body here in Oz, as my first K20D was less than the desired standard and CRK replaced it under warranty (after a bit of urging) - that would have been a bit more difficult overseas.

As far as focus adjust goes, only my Sigma 70-200 required a focus adjustment which I did myself by just changing the settings and shooting to check the focus. Not even a tripod or focus chart in sight. I found that using a wall clock at an angle of about 45 degrees provides a handy focus chart for the lens wide open as the plane of focus is easily determined by which numbers are clearest. Interestingly, the 70-200 is a -10, and is now sharp as a tack even wide open.

Depth of field in front of the subject doesn't tend to be very useful, so front focussing is a bad thing.
10-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I bought one body and two lenses locally (k20d, 16-50 and 50-135), because I do like to support the local brick and mortar stores.

But then I had the wonderful experience of trying to deal with CRK to get the 16-50 repaired... And I swear I will never ever buy anything again that has come anywhere near them.

The last lens I bought was a DA Ltd 35mm from B&H, and cost $400AUD less that it would've locally, and arrived at my door two weeks quicker than the 50-135 (imported by CRK)...
04-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #19

I bought my body and kit lens from Taiwan (eBay). The rest of the lenses from B&H, eBay (Taiwan, Canada, Australia), and CamBuy Australia.