Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Australian Pentax Users & Camera/Lense Calibration

Has anyone in Aus sent their Pentax & Lenses into CR to have everything all calibrated and aligned properly especially if you don't have the patience or skills to do your AF adjustments.

10-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'd be interested to hear about this too.
10-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I did mine myself on the K7 and previously on the k100d. After having done the research on how it is done correctly, acquiring the stuff i needed and actually spending the time time doing it I realised that i should be the one doing it.

Forget being without a camera/lenses for weeks! and do you think the shop johny is going to put the time, effort and love into someone elses camera while earning some crappy wage.
10-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

I had my lenses and K20D body in with CRK for front-focus correction. Took them weeks and didn't make hardly any difference. It appears they just reflashed the firmware then set an "Apply All" of -2. Waste of time.

10-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

@Juice: As I expected. CRK aren't there for that kind of professional support.
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So if this is the case, does it make any significant difference if we buy the body from US rather from Australia, given that CRK is prolly not going to fix things very well when the camera develops some kind of intermittent issues.
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think CRK's support is worth shopping locally for - and I've put my money where my mouth is on that one...

10-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

CRK is busy selling sigma lenses these days. Not that interested in Pentax...
10-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you guys really buy your body from US? How many of us Ozzies are doing this? Let's see a show of hands!
10-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I bought locally, and while they probably aren't very interested in doing small tweaks like that I would really hope they know what they're doing when it comes to repairs! (Or at least know enough to send somewhere where it can be fixed)
10-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
CRK is busy selling sigma lenses these days. Not that interested in Pentax...
Maybe as I have email them about price match online and keep getting waiting for stick to come in

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Do you guys really buy your body from US? How many of us Ozzies are doing this? Let's see a show of hands!
dunno about body but bought plenty of glass,not to keen in going over AU$1000

cheers
10-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I gave up buying locally four lenses back, not because of service problems but becauce of pricing here in Oz.

Luckily, have not had any problems as yet.

I now usually get everything from B&H, arrives here in less than a week, can't beat service that good.
10-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Has anyone in Aus sent their Pentax & Lenses into CR to have everything all calibrated and aligned properly especially if you don't have the patience or skills to do your AF adjustments.
I have a K20D and have used the focus calibration facility...successfully, all by myself at home. It's not that hard.

You need a tripod, use of the kitchen table for an hour or so (by negotiation with the higher household authority ), a small dose of patience and away you go.
The results are worth the effort.

Cheers.
10-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing I got locally was the K100D - my first dSLR. From Ted's.
$1,100 with the kit lens and ordinary Sigma 70-300. Thought it was a bargain at the time.

Found out prices are much better here or with B&H and the like.
So I've not looked back since then.
K10D and *ist D from fellow forum members.
K20D from Adorama.
All glassware from B&H, KEH and this forum.
I don't even bother trying to get CRK to match the prices I find elsewhere, I just shop elsewhere...
10-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #15

Not sure about Pentax gear but when the zoom mechanism on my Sigma 17-70mm failed CRK sent it to Japan to be fixed. It wouldn't surprise me if CRK have major repairs done overseas.

I purchased both my K100D and K20D locally though. Body prices here seem to be relatively on par with the US, until the big US retailers start discounting when a new model is coming in.

FA50 and Tamron 17-50 from the marketplace
Sigma 17-70 - new here (a good deal at the time)
Sigma 70-200 - used from a camera store in Adelaide
DA70 - new here (but only because the prices were fairly equal at the time)
Kenko 2x TC - B&H

If you can find the glass you want for a cheaper price at B&H or Adorama I see no reason to not purchase from them and save your dollars.