Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I have a K10D. Love it. Love using it. Love the feel of the body, love the control placement, it's a great camera. Most of the K20D photos somehow seem better than the ones I get with my K10D. Perhaps it is all the PP that takes place that makes it harder to tell what the camera is doing vs. what the photographer has done.

The K20D is discontinued but still $999 in Canada. The K-7 is almost $1700 for just the body. I don't think I would like the smaller body (although I haven't held it yet) and I would use the video feature about twice a year. (Perhaps that would change once I had it, I dunno). The SD card door and the I/O door have been cheapened up and that turns me off.

So what do I do? Keep trying to figure out the K10D (even after 4,000 photos taken with it I still produce shots that an amateur with a P&S would do) or do I get a K20D and use the K10D as a backup?

I should be excited by the K7 but it just seems to fall short of my expectations.
it all depends on needs as much as wants.

I went K10 to K7 because I wanted not only high ISO but also improved metering with manual lenses. the K20 suffers the same issues as K10D in this respect.

That was the principle reason for me. Simply better metering. I think high ISO performance of both is similar, although I would have expected the K7 to be marginally better at high ISO because the chip was reportidly optimized for HD video, which would have it powered longer, and therefore I imagine the chip has better thermal management or reduced losses.