Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

K10D or K-X?

I know the k10d is a bit... outdated, but I found a price at keh.com for $339. I would then go fora set of a 28-80 and 70-300mm sigma macros. The other choice would be to get the k-x for $750 with the 18-55 & 50-200mm. I need some advice. Is the k-x really wort the extra money? I'm on a budget and I'm getting my first DSLR (I'm 14).
Which would be better [I]in the long run?[I] Thanks.

p.s. my dad has 2 old film lenses: 70-210mm 4-5.6 and 50mm f/2.

10-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
The K10D is not outdated in being able to take good photos, though....

Look at what features you're really after in a camera and use your preferences to guide you to which would suit you most within your budget.

Being a beginner, the K-m/K-x range would suit well, but if you were going to take it seriously, the K10D is more in-line with what you'd be after in a more pro camera (no variety of auto scene modes like in the K-m other than the basic green mode).

I have a K10D and it takes fine pictures for me, as long as I don't need to push it beyond ISO 800 (I'm assuming you know what that means... )

All the best in deciding.
10-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
RE:

yes I do know what that means. Thanks for your advice. I don't really care about the auto scene modes. I know i would never be using those anyway. What I really meant to ask is if the faster fps, video shooting, liveview, and better ISO would make it worth the extra $250 or so. I am a little bit worried about the k10d's high ISO performance.

p.s. I don't want a "beginner" camera. I know that "ease of use" would be no good to me after I learned my way around the camera, and having more buttons and controls on the body is a plus for me. I have 9 siblings, and needless to say they don't stand still long enough for me to wade through menus on the LCD.

Last edited by phhoootogeek; 10-04-2009 at 02:51 PM.
10-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K10D is a great camera. I started with that and moved on to the K20D this march. Still learning about the camera though

10-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
another thing-is the difference from pentaprism and pentamirror really that noticeable?
10-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #6

I am not sure if this is the right category to post (neither K10d nor K-x are Samsung DSLRs), but anyway.

If you don't care about scene modes and are serious about learning photography, go for a K10d : the viewfinder is superior, it has 2 control wheels instead of 1 and the overall ergonomics make it more of a serious camera. On the other hand, the K-x liveview is useless (unless you plan on shooting with a tripod on a regular basis), and video without AF is quite unusable anyway.

Regarding lenses, you should definitely invest your spare 400$ in a constant-aperture zoom like the DA 16-45mm f/4 or (ideally) the DA 17-70mm f/4, this will have a major impact on the quality of your pictures.

Also go steal your dad's 70-210mm f/4-5.6 and more importantly his 50mm f/2, which should make a decent portrait lens if you can bear with manual focusing.
10-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah... sorry about the category... I don't know what happened there. Anyway, just to let you know, I will be using manual focus ALOT, especially during video. That's one of the main reasons that I want to upgrade to a DSLR.