Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ballpark Estimate for K10D Repair

Hi, This is my first post on this forum. I searched for an answer on the forum but didn't come up with anything. My K10D started to act up recently and now takes only green and/or purple tinted photos. Before I spend the money to ship it off to Pentax for repairs, does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to repair, assuming the sensor has to be replaced? While I'm tempted by the latest Pentax models, I would like to keep the K10D as a backup - but not if it would cost as much as a new K20D. I've had the K10D since they were introduced and was still happy with the camera and its output before it died.

Thanks,
Bob

10-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hey there BobRad,

I mailed my k10d in for a similar problem a week ago Monday - tinted photos that were interspersed with shots of all red or green or yellow. And every once in a while, the occasional normal, beautiful photo that was expected.
I was thinking it was a sensor issue, but from reading through several posts from others that have had similar problems, it sounds like it's often a motherboard issue, and runs somewhere just above $300 for them to replace it and give a thorough cleaning of the camera.
When they contact me back with the repair estimate I'll let you know what they say and the exact amount (should be sometime this week).

best,
Mike
10-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the shutter fail on my K10D, (images were progressively blacked out above 1/500)

Pentax canada fixed it for $325 CDN, This included complete new shutter, mirror assembly, and lens mount, plus complete cleaning.

I have seen similar quotes from others with repairs, and when you think about it, this really only amounts to a couple of hours plus parts
10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They have to eat and make profit too... otherwise they wouldn't exist as a business Also if the service is cheaper, no one would buy new, everyone would buy a used one...

10-05-2009, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
Hi, This is my first post on this forum. I searched for an answer on the forum but didn't come up with anything. My K10D started to act up recently and now takes only green and/or purple tinted photos. Before I spend the money to ship it off to Pentax for repairs, does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to repair, assuming the sensor has to be replaced? While I'm tempted by the latest Pentax models, I would like to keep the K10D as a backup - but not if it would cost as much as a new K20D. I've had the K10D since they were introduced and was still happy with the camera and its output before it died.
The minimum seems to be $260 for any repair, to give some idea. I haven't looked in a while but I would guess that is only a $100 or so from the going price of a used K10D. By the time you pay postage both ways, you're closer still.

I personally would put the money into a K20D and the Pentax three year warranty on the K20D, whether it is still free or you have to purchase it separately. I've seen the warranty go for $7-50 depending on the site.

The K20D seems to have a lot less issues in general. The extended warranty also provides a free check up in those three years of coverage. That is listed on the warranty card as a $260 value. If you are not planning to update your camera again for a while, it seems a lot more attractive to have a new K20D than a repaired K10D.

Thank you
Russell
10-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. That's a big help.
10-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Russell (I always read your posts on dpreview).

Bob
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

just a price check, for what it's worth...

I sent my K10D in with a 50-135 that had died just to see if it was just the LCD. I dropped the camera bag last winter, in some seriously cold temperatures (about -35 F) and cracked the rear LCD - and more, but that's all I could see. I couldn't wait for a repair then and purchased a K20D the following day.

Then, a couple weeks ago the SDM motor in my 50-135 died, and I sent it in under warranty (they replaced it), and I sent the K10D along as well, thinking that if it was just the LCD, it'd make a good backup camera.

I got my K10D back from Pentax Canada (just 16 days later) after receiving and declining a quote of $600 to replace the motherboard and the rear LCD. I will put the money towards a new body if and when the need arises.

Anyone need any K10D parts ? (or have a motherboard and LCD for cheap?)

Jamie

10-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Bobrad,
I got a call from CRIS camera - who as of Aug 1 is who Pentax sends all their repair work to now (At least in the USA). Unfortunately they informed me that when the tech was looking at it, it was working fine! And I boxed it up right after it started behaving poorly again! (Just like when I take my car in to the shop it decides to work well...) I spoke with the customer service lady for a few minutes describing the intermittent issues I have been having over the last few months, and they were happy to let me email some example shots of what happens when it's not working well to see if the techs might be able to discern what's going on from them. I emailed them in Friday afternoon around 4, but they are closed Sat & Sun, and have Monday off for Columbus Day, so it will be a bit longer before I hear back from them again.