Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 05:50 AM   #1

Pentax K10D - Focus Issue

In early July the shutter mechanism on my K10 failed. It was mailed to Precision Camera in CT for repair, they forwarded it to Pentax in CO. The camera was returned to me in mid September.

In my first couple brief outings it seemed to be working fine. Then with the purchase of a Sigma 30 /1.4 I noticed images were slightly out of focus and very blurry wide open. When focusing on distant objects (<100') the focus ring would go to infinity, as I would expect. However the image was not in focus. With some experimenting I discovered that by switching to manual focus and turning the focusing ring back to 12' the world would come into sharp focus.

Trying to determine what is going on I did some testing with another lens which had always been very sharp and found the camera to be focusing 6-10 mm beyond the target using a focus test chart. Again, I needed to turn the focus ring manually closer to bring it back to the correct point.

Comparing recent with pre-repair images I found none of the new images were anywhere near as sharp as the older images. Something has changed.

The infinity focus point moving closer makes me wonder what's going on. Is there some misalignment between the focal plane and the focus detection system?

10-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oppositz Quote
In early July the shutter mechanism on my K10 failed. It was mailed to Precision Camera in CT for repair, they forwarded it to Pentax in CO. The camera was returned to me in mid September.

In my first couple brief outings it seemed to be working fine. Then with the purchase of a Sigma 30 /1.4 I noticed images were slightly out of focus and very blurry wide open. When focusing on distant objects (<100') the focus ring would go to infinity, as I would expect. However the image was not in focus. With some experimenting I discovered that by switching to manual focus and turning the focusing ring back to 12' the world would come into sharp focus.

Trying to determine what is going on I did some testing with another lens which had always been very sharp and found the camera to be focusing 6-10 mm beyond the target using a focus test chart. Again, I needed to turn the focus ring manually closer to bring it back to the correct point.

Comparing recent with pre-repair images I found none of the new images were anywhere near as sharp as the older images. Something has changed.

The infinity focus point moving closer makes me wonder what's going on. Is there some misalignment between the focal plane and the focus detection system?
I think I'd contact Pentax in Golden Colorado with the issue, since they repaired the shutter. I think there is an adjustment they can make to correct the focus.