Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-X specs

hi! i am new in the forum, i have searched for a thread discussing the pentax k-x specs and i have not found any, so i decided to create one

i think i will buy this camera on christmas, but i have some technical doubts about the specs (i am new at dslr)

- batteries, what is the differnece between the lithium batteries and rechargeable NiMH or hybrid? i read with lithium batteries you can reach 1900 shots or 1100 (50% flash) but i will use rechargeable ones, will i notice much difference?

- i also read it will record hd video720@24, do you know if it will include lower res at more fps? is 24 ok or 30 is much better?

- it can make a sequence of 17 jpg at 4,7fps or 5 raw. is that as few as it seems or is it ok?

10-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A couple of responses to your points.

I think as far as batteries are concerned, there are probably several review sites out there that deal specifically with them. I will be using eneloops personally (already have a bunch) and expect to get alot of photos out of a single charge. 700-800 shots is well beyond a day's worth of shooting for me.

24FPS for video, as far as I understand it, is a fairly accepted framerate in the video world (not the only one, but nothing out of the ordinary). I think it is actually generally preferable to 30fps. (note I just typed in 24fps and the first google auto complete is '24fps vs 30fps' which tells me this is a long running discussion!) I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower resolution option, but that is just personal speculation.

The idea behind a short burst of multiple frames is that you have a general idea of what you want to capture (specifically in some form of action shot - sports, wildlife i.e. a bird in flight) - you start your capture slightly before an anticipated moment and capture it within the range. So, you are getting close to 4 seconds of close to 4.7fps, with the idea being that you would capture a specific, ideal shot in that timeframe. Personally I have hardly ever used burst shooting, but since Pentax (prior to the K7 and now Kx) have traditionally been around 3fps or lower, this is a welcome addition for alot of users.
10-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok, thanks for the answer! i think i will definitely get this camera.

one more questions about the batteries, you get 700-800 photos with eneloops, have you tried lithium? how many more can you get?

thanks again
10-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
of course your going to get more shots out of lithium batteries but they wont be rechargeable.

and i dont think i've seen them li ion in AA form?

10-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by o_bender Quote
ok, thanks for the answer! i think i will definitely get this camera.

one more questions about the batteries, you get 700-800 photos with eneloops, have you tried lithium? how many more can you get?

thanks again
Those numbers are out of thin air to begin with, haha! But I think they are a reasonable expectation. I have a K20d currently, which uses a proprietary battery - I have no idea how many shots I get per charge - I am not much for machine-gunning and hoping I get something, but rather am more conservative with my photo count in general. With the K20d and grip, I have more than enough charge for a week long vacation (generally speaking). I think the Kx is extremely solid on specs alone. I have no urge to sell my K20d, but think the Kx is a perfect compliment to it.
10-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i think those numbers are enough for me, i have seen some photo examples of this camera and they seem pretty good to me, i will definitely get this in christmas, when i go to new york (from europe) i have heard about b&h, any other recomended store?

WerTicus, i know i'll get more shots from lithium but, do you know the ratio more or less? the double? x1.5?

thanks!
10-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably about double if it's like other Pentax cameras - 500-ish shots with good low-self-discharge rechargeables like Eneloops, 1000-ish with non-rechargeable lithium (as another poster mentioed, lithium-ion is not an option).
10-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i think that is another advantage, when they release a much better AA type (like lithium-ion or something) it will be easy to update the batteries

thanks!

10-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #9

I use 2000 MAh Eneloops and I'm averaging 751 shots per charge so far. I alternate between 2 sets.
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by o_bender Quote
i think those numbers are enough for me, i have seen some photo examples of this camera and they seem pretty good to me, i will definitely get this in christmas, when i go to new york (from europe) i have heard about b&h, any other recomended store?

WerTicus, i know i'll get more shots from lithium but, do you know the ratio more or less? the double? x1.5?

thanks!
Never been to any of the NY stores, but have heard that adorama is also a gadget/camera geek paradise. Would love to see them in person myself someday (I will try and leave my wallet at home, haha).
10-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i have had a k-m (k-2000) in my hands, which are said very similar to the new k-x... does anyone have this camera? am i the only one who hits his nose everytime i try use the wheel? that was a bit uncomfortable... i will try to look for more info about this

i know adorama too, but the web page doesnt seem so good, i dont know where to buy it actually

edit. my fault, im prone to use my left eye and that makes it pretty uncomfortable

Last edited by o_bender; 10-08-2009 at 01:26 AM.
10-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter

here's my take on the batteries. the K-x is rated at 1900 shots for lithiums. although i would think thats a bit overly optimistic, but even 1500 would be good.

i'm using NiZn's and so far, i'm getting over 800 shots in my k2000. The k-x should be even more energy efficient. eneloops are good too. used them in my *ist DL and got about 500 shots.

NiZn's have higher voltage than eneloops. nothing scientific, but i feel the AF is livelier than with eneloops. They're a tad pricier than eneloops and for electronics that needs that extra 0.3v per battery, the NiZn's are great.

YMMV

HTH

jordan
10-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get over 1300 shots on my K2000 with my duraloops (supposedly eneloop rebrands) and other hybrid batteries - but I do run my LCD screen to the lowest setting, short meter time setting, no flash, etc. Never tried lithium.

K-x with its CMOS sensor is supposed to be better.
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I checked my K2000 with a set of Energizer lithiums. Came to somewhere between 1,300 and 1,400 shots with very little use of flash. Couldn't be happier.

I use Eneloops for my flash, though, unless I'm traveling and don't want to lug a charger around.

I've not checked the battery life in the K-7. Seems OK but the camera is a bit slow in telling me that the charge is getting low. The three bars are visible for a long time but then it goes to two bars, then to one bar, and finally to "off" entirely too quickly.
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

..not weather-sealed though.
What attracted me to Pentax first was the weather sealing..although I ended up with the K100D super for the meantime..till I save up for the K7.