Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #1

K20 or K-x

I am thinking about purchasing either a K20D or waiting for the K-x. This would be my first DSLR. Any sugestions? if so where would you reccomend I purchase?

Thank you

10-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caseygtc Quote
I am thinking about purchasing either a K20D or waiting for the K-x. This would be my first DSLR. Any sugestions? if so where would you reccomend I purchase?

Thank you
It depends on what is important to you.

The K-x is small, the K20 is heavier and weather sealed, so you can take it in the rain when you use the more expensive lenses.

I think that coming from a P&S the K-x is an excellent camera. It's LiveView will be better (handy for macro when working from a tripod), but the K20 will have a better optical viewfinder, which is nicer when composing your images in other situations.

You cannot go wrong with either, what are the subjects and situations you plan to use it mainly for and what do you miss in your current camera?
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D will be much larger and heavier a format than the K-x, but offers superb image quality. it'll certainly offer lots more room to grow if photography is something you've decided you want to commit to, at very little incremental cost compare to the K-x.

Having gone from a DS to K10 and subsequenty K20, when I'm out shooting with a purporse, I prefer the K20 format for having a lot of key parameters accesible through hard switches. Like the previous poster noted however, both are excellent cameras.
10-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If weather sealing is not that important to you I suggest you get the K-x. Each has its own strength. The K-x has Video, small & lighter, faster fps and higher iso. K20D has weather sealing, top lcd, better viewfinder. it depends on what you want in a camera. Both are good dslr you cant go wrong with any of these.

10-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

K-x does have higher iso, but how does the lower iso's compare to the K20D's. what is the usage of the iso settings of the K-x, and is the high iso IQ usable based off most people's preferences.
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

here's a link of the k-x high iso sample. i found a 4288x2848 size. the 2 lanterns with japanese characters. the iso is 3200. i think it looks good.

Flickr: cazuki.mbdb's Photostream
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums caseygtc!
For a first DSLR, I would say, get the K-x.
It would have a less steep learning curve than the K20D plus the K-x is targeted as an entry level DSLR.
It would be an easier transition from the P&S as it also has liveview.
As someone starting out, I won't think you would like shooting in the rain or such damp watery environs where the K20D would excel.