Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 went kaput

Looks like my LovEvolution photos (2009 LovEvolution - a set on Flickr) will be the last from my K-7 for a while.

Needed to use the K-7 at work today, only to find out that the camera is on the fritz. Switching the power on only resulted in a barely audible high-pitched whine. The LCD won't turn on, and after a few seconds, the battery indicator and nothing else shows up on the top LCD. If the AF switch is on C or AF, half-pressing will activate the AF mechanism, but AF is very wonky and doesn't appear to be functioning correctly. Fully depressing in M mode (won't work in AF mode) will activate the shutter mechanism, but nothing writes to the memory card.

Guess this body will have to go into Pentax (along with the DA* 16-50mm that's already at the Arizona facility)

I bought the K-7 brand new from Amazon back in July. Now I'm starting to question my purchase...

- Jason

10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear Jason.
Could this be the first K-7 failure this forum has had reported?
Hope it works out for you - keep us posted with the developments.
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #3

something like this seemed to happen with my k-m. does the aperture value show 0.8 or nothing at all and the AF hexagon symbol light up still? pentax fixed it free of cost, but of course the camera broke when i was in the bahamas on vacation on the 2nd day.
10-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
something like this seemed to happen with my k-m. does the aperture value show 0.8 or nothing at all and the AF hexagon symbol light up still? pentax fixed it free of cost, but of course the camera broke when i was in the bahamas on vacation on the 2nd day.
Nope, I don't get any indicators at all, apart from the battery indicator. The rear LCD doesn't light up, the viewfinder indicators don't show anything. But the AF mechanism will move around and the shutter will actuate on M. That's about it in terms of "functionality".

Hopefully this repair won't take as long as my DA* 16-50 repair (still waiting...)

- Jason

10-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for not railing on pentax and telling us how you are going to sell all your gear an buy a Nikon...I am so tired of those threads...
10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's IT! I'm tired of always railing on Pentax! I'm selling all my gear and buying a Hasselblad!

Original enough?

Pretty bummed that I'll be K-7ess for a while. Good thing I didn't sell my K20D (yet )
10-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sorry to hear Jason.
Wow, I must be getting my forums confused... Didn't we have some sensor lines and some overheating issues that folks had to send their cameras in for?

I could totally be mixing it up with the "Forum that shall remain nameless"
10-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about the run of trouble you've been having with your gear...hope the repairs get turned around quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Wow, I must be getting my forums confused... Didn't we have some sensor lines and some overheating issues that folks had to send their cameras in for?

I could totally be mixing it up with the "Forum that shall remain nameless"
The green line problem has been fixed with the V.01.00.09 firmware update, as far as I can see.
It was thought to be related to overheating , but in the end not really, because firmware won't fix heating issues. The symptoms did tend to appear with a warmed up sensor.

10-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sorry to hear Jason.
No it is not the 1st and it seems to be more than the K-7 its seems to be a Pentax DSLR electrical problem that always seems to end in circuit board changes and the customer (consumer) suffers with waiting and waiting while Pentax takes its time to fix. There is deffinitly a Pentax manufacturing and or design error that needs to have Pentax own up to its responsibility rather than letting the consumer pay the price of being without a camera for weeks on while they fix the problem individually ... Check these other reports and issues:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74242-serious-shor...ectronics.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74410-k-7-flickering-screen.html

and this one on k20 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/75295-k20-suddently-wont-power.html
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I hope these are all worked out and are uncommon problems.
Building consumer confidence is one thing Pentax needs to do well IMO.
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #11

gah, that's terrible. Do you have a backup body in the meantime? I've been lucky with my 16-50 and K-7 so far and I hope that luck continues.
10-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmmm...first your lens..and now your camera..yaiks!
Pentax must be testing you or when it rained Murphy's law, you caught most of it!
I feel sorry for you man.