Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k10d wet and dead, then... some life

So like a dummy my k10d got very wet, while on and stopped working. I let it dry very good and tried putting a battery in with no sign of life. So i left it on the desk and set about finding a replacement. Got a k20d. (very nice) Anyway, last week I tried again (i know the whole "insanity" thing), but this time the battery icon flashed like it was an empty battery. So I threw a just off the charger full batery and it did the same thing. At least it's showing some life.

So the question... Anyone soaked their k10d until dead? Did you get it fixed? Is there a good shop to try?

Any help would be great. If not too expensive, I would fix it and keep it or let my son use it.

Thanks in advance.

10-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I once had a Nokia cell phone that was dropped in the water.
After a hair dryer treatment it did not work, after 2 days of drying with all covers off on a radiator it still did not work, after 4 days it worked again and did so for 3 more years.
The moral here is: Don't give up.

Your K10D cannot be uncovered as a cell phone, so I guess that you'd need more time for it to dry. Perhaps you should get the covers off.

- Bert
10-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #3

I've taken my BlackBerry swimming a few times on accident. Still works, although the trackball is a little sticky at times. I doubt that has to do with it getting wet though.
10-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my K10D wet, not quite enough to be completely dead but the 4 way controller was bad, it wouldn't recognise ANY SD card, a bunch of other minor things. It took over three weeks to dry out so that it worked OK again. Judging by this experience I'd let it dry out for at least that long.
I even put silica pacs in the battery compartment and left it in a sunny window during the early part of the summer, still took over 3 weeks.

NaCl(I'd give it some time yet)H2O

10-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Many times electronic devices will begin to work again after completely drying out. It's best not to turn it on until dry because the moisture can cause shorts which may do more permanant damage. The camera is weatherproof but not waterproof. I'm outside a lot in all kinds of weather and I always try to keep my camera dry. It does get some water on it from time to time but I won't take it out in pouring rain unprotected.
10-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I got my *istD really wet, inside a swamped kayak

it went into a auto shoot mode where I could not even turn it off without pulling the batteries, which I did

when I got back to camp, I opened all the covers, and left it in the sun for 4 hours.

This was 5 years ago, it has worked fine ever since, and has never seen pentax service.

The big issue is to get it dry asap.

letting it sit wet is very bad.
10-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The big issue is to get it dry asap.

letting it sit wet is very bad.
The first thing is taking out the batteries to minimize the possible damage electricity can do in case of water damage.
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wet K10D

I wouldn't give up yet. Some years ago I managed to spill some dilute alcohol - no, it was not a drink! - into my Harmon Kardon stereo receiver. It was on and immediately went "dead." I turned it off, unplugged it and let it sit for a week or ten days. It worked fine, and still works fine.

YMMV, however. I also know of a case involving chicken noodle soup spilled into a color TV. Total basket case. Moisture, salt, and fats. Probably the only way to salvage it would have been dunking in a vat of solvent.

10-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For those of you who had your K10D act up when wet, what lens were you using?
10-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Forum Member

Put it in a bowl of rice. Bury it. I bought a 70-300 APO off e bay once and it had moisture in it and was hopeless. No picture qaulity at all. Didnt have anything to lose so buried it for a couple of days. Lot better now. Probably could do with a bit more time in there but at least you can use it now.
10-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregV Quote
So like a dummy my k10d got very wet, while on and stopped working.
Did it get submerged or just heavy rain?
10-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If it's showing a low battery indicator, check the battery contacts in the camera for corrosion.
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #13

K20d Water nightmare

I went to linn run state park to get some nice shots of the creek there with my k20 and 16-45, ballhead, tripod, and shutter release. Got lots of quality shots, then found a spot that was deeper off the road and quite steep to climb down so I asked my wife to keep my boys 8 and 5 years old away cus of the falling risk. Well they ignored her(she also had the baby in stroller so couldn't chase them) and climbed down and were messing around behind me. I asked them to please stay away and be careful on the slippy rocks. I was composing my shot when the 8 year old tossed a massive rock into the stream below me which sounded like a cannon shot! Scared me, and then I heard my 5 year old fall directly behind me. As a father I thought he fell on the mossy rocks and may be hurt, so i quickly turned around to look. He did fall, but was already starting to get himself up. Then I heard another crash in front of me. I looked back and there it was, my k20d, and all gear laying 2ft underwater and the pentax strap flowing in the current!!!!!!!! I know very well you all can feel my agonizing pain at that sight! I snatched it out of the water faster than aquaman could have and with my boys following ran to my car. my wife saw what happend and just kinda mumbled. when I got to the car I notice the top LCD screen was still on. I thought OMG! If it still has power it will short out. So I shut it off pulled the battery and then removed the lens, Water just poored out of the camera body and lens. So I tucked my tail between my legs and drove home. Quietest ride i'v ever been on.
well my wonderful wife looked online and read where saltwater is much worse than fresh, and it said to open everything up for about a week then try it. I did that and moved it every day to a different position to aid in draining. The moment of truth. After a week I put it all back together and OMG it works perfectly!!!! except for a spot of dust on viewfinder that doesn't affect PQ. All I can say is only makes me love pentax more. The fact that the power was still on when I got up to the car and didn't short out with it loaded with water really is amazing.
I could not be happier with pentax!!!!!
10-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregV Quote
So like a dummy my k10d got very wet, while on and stopped working. I let it dry very good and tried putting a battery in with no sign of life. So i left it on the desk and set about finding a replacement. Got a k20d. (very nice) Anyway, last week I tried again (i know the whole "insanity" thing), but this time the battery icon flashed like it was an empty battery. So I threw a just off the charger full batery and it did the same thing. At least it's showing some life.

So the question... Anyone soaked their k10d until dead? Did you get it fixed? Is there a good shop to try?

Any help would be great. If not too expensive, I would fix it and keep it or let my son use it.

Thanks in advance.

Pack it in dry rice for a few days -- or better yet, silica gel. That will absorb moisture that plain air drying will not remove. Get all the moisture out before trying to turn it back on, and it will probably be fine.
12-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
well, I've tried all these things to no avail at this time. Still get the battery flash and then nothing. Noone has ever tried to have one fixed? Any good, fair and reputable shops to recomend?