Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
They're factory refurbs, not a store recondition or rebox. Big difference. I've been buying Mac refurbs for years with no issues. You save a lot, get warranty, and looks as good as new. If the price works, buy one. I *may*. may hold me over until I can spring for the K7.
did i ever say they were store repackages?

yes they are refurbished by the manufacturer, but again, they could have refurbished and checked the functions of a camera that was just returned, or a camera that fell 4 feet into a puddle that workes... but it wont work for long.

Your Mac refurbs experience is good, my personal electronic purchase experiences over the years has also been good, but that doesnt take away from the fact that a refurb could be a jack in the box.

10-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

You're absolutely right, I didn't mean to imply you (or anyone else) said something they didn't. I was just stating a fact. There are some instances where I would shy from a refurb product - not knowing if it is a complete dud or not, but a factory refurb from a respectable company doesn't worry me. About 3 months ago, many grabbed these K20D from Best Buy and I can't recall anyone having issues out of the ordinary.

That being said, when new K20's were available for $600 with a 3 yr warranty, that was a no brainer over the refurb.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
did i ever say they were store repackages?

yes they are refurbished by the manufacturer, but again, they could have refurbished and checked the functions of a camera that was just returned, or a camera that fell 4 feet into a puddle that workes... but it wont work for long.

Your Mac refurbs experience is good, my personal electronic purchase experiences over the years has also been good, but that doesnt take away from the fact that a refurb could be a jack in the box.
10-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best Buy refurbs

Given the current landscape, a refurb from Best Buy is not a bad option for a K20d, K10d, K200d or even a K100d. Sure, you never know about a refurb but these are factory refurbed from my understanding. Some used offerings, I have seen, already have 10+K actuations and lack cables and other basics and at a higher price.
I am in the market for my first dslr but my funds are limited and despite my trepidation about a refurb, it's something to consider.
10-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My one experience with factory refurb was an Onkyo speaker/amplifier set. It worked for about two days and then gave up the ghost. I sent it in for repairs and it came back and the same thing happened. Finally, I called the repair company and talked to the technician personally. That time, when it came back, it worked perfectly and has continued to work for the three years since.

Of course, for the first two months that I owned it, I only had it in my possesion about a week total. That said, I probably wouldn't do a refurb on anything I really wanted to use consistently. There easily maybe bugs left to work out, although I'll freely admit that if it fails, it is likely to fail in the ninety day warranty window.

10-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i phoned pentax, and they are aware that best buy has refurbs for sale..... i aksed why there was only a 90 day warranty on a k20 body which has been returned to original specs and condition.... all i got was the old jackie gleason line...."Hummina hummina hummina" (whenever he was stymied or stuck for words.).....
i also asked why pentax was not selling refurbs directly.... got the same answer....
i can't say i've been enamored with pentax customer support over the years (going back to my zx50 and zxl film bodies).. and as of late, even less so.....
it's also curious to note the the k-7 pricing will eventually drop to a level in the near future making k-20's even less expensive..... or perhaps even unwanted due to the more competitive k-7 pricing.....
i'd like to jump from my k200d to a k20d, but not at the current pricing and/ or a much too short refurb warrantied product....
10-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #21

If it's a refurb, then something wasn't operational and had to be fixed/replaced/modified by the manufacturer, not the reseller. In most cases refurbs come with 90-day warranty only, meaning they can't stand behind their repair work for any longer than that (short of replacing the entire PCB).

A store return, open-box item, or a store demo should be fully operational and free of any defect. Sometimes, if the store moves enough volume for a manufacturer, manufacturer will honor full warranty on open-box or store-demo items. I'm always on the look out for these.

I'd buy a refurb Mac anytime, but I'll never buy a refurb Sony-Vaio. (Heck, I'll never buy a new Vaio).
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

update... the best buy site has listed this as 'sold out online'....

10-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

"Your shipment is on its way"...couldn't hold out any longer. Guess I ordered mine just in time. I've not ever had any prob's with refurb's from reputable manufacturers. 3rd party refurb's are another story...beware!

cheers
10-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Sweet deals on all the cameras! I've just about convinced my co-worker on the K100D. He's looking for a dSLR and is impressed with Pentax (based on my sales job).
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
referb means someone returned a product to the store for WHATEVER reason

the reason could be as silly as "just not liking it" to "just not liking it after it fell 4 feet into a puddle of water"

buy at your own risk.
That's what "open box" means (like at Henry's)! At least a refurb is from the manufacturer.
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #26
pbo
Veteran Member

Sssooooo....

I couldn't resist on that one...
Ordered early yesterday in the morning, came TODAY!! by UPS (OH -> MI by UPS is fast )

Now, camera. It looks like new, in original box, all accessories still in bubble wrap, battery with its cap in bubble wrap as well. Cosmetically couldn't tell the camera from new - no dust, even under pop-up flash! Also, very low mileage - just 200 clicks. happy so far
10-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I think people will be surprized that all the so called "refurbished" K 20Ds turn out to be brand new indeed. This is Pentax's way to get rid of excess inventory when a new model comes out rather than selling them at an officially low price. A short while after the K20D was introduced Cameta on eBay put a lot of refurbished K10Ds fup or auction and a lot of people commented that theirs was brand new, mine included. I've since sold mine to a co-worker. Enjoy your brand new cameras.
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #28
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think people will be surprized that all the so called "refurbished" K 20Ds turn out to be brand new indeed. This is Pentax's way to get rid of excess inventory when a new model comes out rather than selling them at an officially low price. A short while after the K20D was introduced Cameta on eBay put a lot of refurbished K10Ds fup or auction and a lot of people commented that theirs was brand new, mine included. I've since sold mine to a co-worker. Enjoy your brand new cameras.
Hm, interesting thought...
UPC's not there though, think that means something?
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #29

Also orderd from Best Buy.
Now to get rid of the k10 ( what would be a fair price ?), and wait til xmas for the K7 (my dad takes the k10 or k20 + grip and he pays for the k7).
10-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #30
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Also orderd from Best Buy.
Now to get rid of the k10 ( what would be a fair price ?), and wait til xmas for the K7 (my dad takes the k10 or k20 + grip and he pays for the k7).
Whoa, it's good to have a dad into photography
I'm also trying to sell K10D - and $300 seems like a reasonable price for now.