Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by insulinguy Quote
OP = original poster?
Yep--that would be you. You're clear on this now?

10-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Well, I stand by everything I said in this thread -- but I was trying to answer the wrong question all along!

Sorry about the misunderstanding, and thanks to those who noticed the disconnect.
10-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Do any of the past and current releases deal with processing noise better or is that a hardware issue (better sensor, processor)??
10-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
yeah mang - i got it now! thanks for all the help guys -

10-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckdup Quote
Do any of the past and current releases deal with processing noise better or is that a hardware issue (better sensor, processor)??
The actual electrical noise coming off of the sensor is a function of the hardware; the sensor itself and the channels that carry the information to the image processor. This is one of the reasons that the K-7 is reported to have less noise than the K20D, even though they use essentially the same sensor. The K-7 has four channels, while the K20D only has two. I'm not an EE, but that is supposed to be a big improvement.

However, the noise reduction function is done in firmware. While a firmware update could replace the NR algorithm to improve the final noise in the image, I don't think that Pentax has done that in any of their updates, yet. At least, that has not been one of the stated changes in any Pentax firmware update that I have seen, but I could be wrong.
10-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #21

If you want to know more about noise, you can read this: noise types

Basically, you have two kinds of noise:
- Read noise: one that is proper to hardware (amplifiers and other electronical components). You can experience such noise with your hifi installation: turn it on, put NO music and increase the volume, a lot. You will hear a 'shhhhhhhhhh...' This is noise caused by electronical components.

- Fixed Pattern Noise: this one is caused by the photons. Don't remember exactly how it works
but just google

Noise reduction (as noblepa said) is done by the firmware. To explain very simply:
say you made a painting in pointillisme style, so with a lot of white between the colored dots. The white spaces can be considered as noice. If you want the 'noise' to dissapear, you have to smudge the surrounding paint to fill in the gaps.

This is exactly how NR algorithms work: they calculate the color they will give to the noisy pixel. (as I said, this is a simple explanation ^^ )

This is also why hardware with less noise is better than applying noise reduction.
Who wants to smudge their paintings? (except for artistic purposes )

And about the thread question, the others explained it allready, so no need to get back on it I guess?
10-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are asking why you need firmware at all as opposed to why you need the update, the answe is simple. Without firmware the camera is stuck in "paperweight mode"
10-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
yeah man - its all cleared up now - i was calling the software firmware. and i rarely use SR and beyond that have had zero issues with it to this point anyway so im just using the firmware version the camera shipped with!